LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Xenoophorus in trouble

Home Forums Field Trips & Conservation Xenoophorus in trouble

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  N0body Of The Goat 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

ricefish
    Participant

Xenoophorus in trouble

Taken from the GWG website 

Bad news – I am forwarding herein a letter from Juan Miguel Artigas Azas, who visited San Luis Potosí recently:

I am a little depressed because there has been 3 weekends in a row that I go to the field to look for Xenoophorus captivus to write an article about them and I haven’ t yet been able to find a single specimen. Most localities where I used to find them are now dry. I travelled along Rio Santa Maria from the Type locality at Santa Maria del Rio up to Jesus María and there is no water anymore, all the beautiful springs I knew and even the small dams along it are dry…. Just some pools Near Rodrigo (near the place where Andreas and me found them 20 years ago) but I wasn’t able to collect any fish there. I also went to Río Tierra Quemada, where last May Rusty and I tried hard to collect any without luck, and I couldn’t get anything but Goodea gracilis again. Omar told me he had collected many six months ago but as some of those Goodea have black markings and blue shines I suspect his students may have confused them. I will keep looking for them. But the situation is dramatic for all this fish.

Regards, Juan Miguel Artigas Azas

So: whoever is breeding Xenoophorus: keep an eye on them, and please, save fish with location Moctezuma, Venados, Agua de Enmedio, as nobody in Europe is breeding them, I fear…madness goes on…

Matt
    Keymaster

Do those represent all known localities for this species Nigel?

oaken
    Participant

Hm. Am I the only one that can’t read ricefish’s post? I only see the “Awaiting Moderation” text in his post.

ricefish
    Participant

It covers most of their range 🙁

But the search is still ongoing so there is still hope,but some locations have already been lost 

Matt
    Keymaster

Then that really is bad news…is Juan Miguel correct that no-one has these populations?

Gustav, Nigel seems to have the same issue as you with the ‘awaiting moderation’ message. Will give @dunc  the heads-up now.

ricefish
    Participant

Hi Matt

Most if not all of the known locations are effected.And some locations were already lost,the last chance for some of the others are the US hobby as we have none in Europe as far as we know

dunc
    Keymaster

@oaken @ricefish can you please try posting in here again? think I may have resolved the problem

ricefish
    Participant

Thanks dunc

seems to be Ok now

oaken
    Participant

Yes, it works now. Thanks.

Matt
    Keymaster

@ricefish said:
    Hi Matt

Most if not all of the known locations are effected.And some locations were already lost,the last chance for some of the others are the US hobby as we have none in Europe as far as we know

Good grief, would it help if we put a request on the home page for anyone keeping this species to contact the GWG?

ricefish
    Participant

Thanks Matt

It won’t hurt to ask but as you know there are only a few Goodeid nuts around so your offer is much appreciated

Rüdiger
    Participant

First thing taht popped into my head was Shaun (chaudax) but for some funny reason, I can’t access his web site! :-(

Regards

R.

Matt
    Keymaster

Nigel, do you have access to a photo or two we could use?

Matt
    Keymaster

Thanks to Nigel and Mike for the help and pics. Have now added the following: http://www.seriouslyfish.com/have-you-seen-xenoophorus-captivus/

N0body Of The Goat
    Participant

Sad news to read :(

I take it Gary (“fish48”) has already confirmed he has none in his ~120 livebearer species tanks?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.