LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Yasuhikotakia Sidthimunki

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Yasuhikotakia Sidthimunki

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Reva 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Reva
    Participant

will Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki, dwarf chain loach, eat malaysian burrowing snails as well as the other botias? Will they harrass tiny tetras and rasboras? I have heard that they can be quite naughty, but am wondering if they have been falsely accused?

Bully
    Participant

It’s pretty much a “your mileage may vary” situation, somewhat dependant upon your tank setup, decor etc. I’ve never had MTS in my tanks but, I do not believe Y. sidthimimunki would have a lot of success with them. My owns sids will eat small snails of other species but, there are plenty of keepers who say theirs don’t eat snails at all (at least not to a noticeable level).

As to naughty? Well, they can be boisterous, if you have the space then a larger group will take care of their boisterousness a little, I have 14 and they keep to themselves. There are countless places to take cover in my tank though, and I think that also helps.

If you’re struggling for space, and only looking for a solution to a snail problem then I would recommend the Assassin snail Clea helena instead. Over several months Assassins will slowly but surely take care of any snail problem.

Bluedave
    Participant

I agree with Bully – saved me some typing there!!!

Reva
    Participant

thanks guys. I have never seen any assassin snails in my LFS’s. But the question begs to be answered, “after the assassin snails eat the other snails, what’s to keep you from having too many of them?”

Bully
    Participant

Assassins do not reproduce anywhere near as quickly as “pest” snails do. Not only that, but they have a resale value too. In my experience, they are a whole lot easier to keep under control than other snails

Reva
    Participant

Ok, if I can find them I will give them a try. Right now I have added two baby clown loaches, which will have to move to my big tank when they get things under control. Will the assassins eat every single other snail , or leave some of them to tunnel around the plant roots?

Bully
    Participant

Over time they will eradicate all snails in your tank. Assassins do spend much of their time buried in the sand so they will serve a similar function to the MTS, just not to the same degree.

Sometimes, it’s very hard to get the balance you desire in such a closed environment

Reva
    Participant

I have been reading about the assassins, and they have pretty shells, but those noses are kinda creepy. Maybe One? LOL

Bully
    Participant

They are very pretty snails

Reva
    Participant

I was jokingly saying that the creepiness makes me only want ONE

Author
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.