LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Yasuhikotakia spp.

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Yasuhikotakia spp.

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Bully 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Do these exhibit the same suite of behavioural quirks as Botia spp. i.e. ‘shadowing’, ‘greying out’, the ‘loachy dance’ (man that term bugs me /thumbs_up.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:thumbsup:” border=”0″ alt=”thumbs_up.gif” />

Plaamoo
    Participant

the ‘loachy dance’ (man that term bugs me tongue.gif)

Bully
    Participant

Mark will be the one who can best answer as he has the biggest population on here as far as I’m aware. However, my Y. sidthimunki demonstrate all the traits you mention View Original Movie

Also, one of my favourite pics from when the female got seriously big, I haven’t posted it in a long time so using this as a golden opportunity

Matt
    Keymaster

Cheers Gareth, and that is one enormo-female! /rolleyes.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:rolleyes:” border=”0″ alt=”rolleyes.gif” />

QUOTE (plaamoo @ Apr 15 2011, 01:18 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    /biggrin.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:D” border=”0″ alt=”biggrin.gif” />

So what about the other species?

Bully
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Apr 16 2011, 09:03 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Did you know Y. sidthimunki and Y. nigrolineata have been found to be genetically distinct from the rest of the genus? Seems they might get their own genus at some point. /tongue.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:p” border=”0″ alt=”tongue.gif” />

andy rushworth
    Participant

Interesting point about the Striatas Gareth , I suspect that the Indian Botias i.e Dario and Almorhaes have more complex’s than we know too /blink.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:blink:” border=”0″ alt=”blink.gif” /> sexes ?

Interestingly the smaller/runts seem just as healthy and seem to live as long ?

B t w Gareth you still got all those wonderful Sids

Mark Duffill
    Participant

The Yasuhikotakia do all the things that the Botia species do but with a little more attitude

Bully
    Participant

Yep, still got the sids

ender2811
    Participant

I have a question about Y. sidthimunki. Would they be at home in a community tank housing Emp tetras, Cories, and a couple of dwarf cichlids? The profile suggests such a tank as suitable but was wondering if anyone had some first hand experience with a similar setup. How many would be enough in a group? Profile says 5 but, again, any other thoughts.

Mark Duffill
    Participant

The tetras etc would be fine but I have never had good results when sidthimunki have been in the same tank as cories, the dorsal fins of the cories tend to take some damage. I have never housed them with dwarf cichlids so cant comment.

Matt
    Keymaster

Does anyone have information regarding the current conservation status of Y. sidthimunki? Almost everywhere I look it says ‘endangered’ but it hasn’t been assessed by the IUCN since 1996 and the species page on siamensis.org appears to say that it’s already extinct in the wild, with fish recorded from a river in recent years likely to be escapees from a breeding farm…

torso
    Participant
    Matt wrote on Apr 16 2011, 08:03 AM:
    Did you know Y. sidthimunki and Y. nigrolineata have been found to be genetically distinct from the rest of the genus? Seems they might get their own genus at some point. /rolleyes.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:rolleyes:” border=”0″ alt=”rolleyes.gif” />
    about sids as eye-eaters: does anybody have facts. in a forum here they restarted that nonsense: “they use to hunt snails at night and may confuse the eyes of cories with the prey …” In a LFS I followed a strange customer advice about killer-sids. when I asked the geranl manager if she was aware to damage the reputation of the shop by selling killer-fish she looked like this

Matt
    Keymaster

QUOTE (torso @ May 18 2011, 06:47 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    they use to hunt snails at night and may confuse the eyes of cories with the prey

….

torso
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ May 19 2011, 06:47 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    ….

Attached files

Matt
    Keymaster

Pretty much like that, yeah.

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.