LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Yunnanilus cruciatus

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Yunnanilus cruciatus

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Mark Duffill 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

andy rushworth
    Participant

Hi all, just picked up a dozen Y.cruciatus from Pier aquatics , there were three Yunnanilus sp/s at the shop Brevis, Cruciatus and the small red ones ? what sold me on the Cruciatus was some of the Google Images of well grown specimens /wub.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:wub:” border=”0″ alt=”wub.gif” /> I’ve put them in a 48x15x12 aquarium with a sand base , smooth rounded pebbles and some imitation plants , they seemed to settle in almost immediately , the filter is a Fluval 3 internal which seems adequate ? a number of years ago I kept Y.brevis

kim m
    Participant

I found some Y. cruciatus in a shop here in DK a few weeks ago…actually the only 10 Yunnanilus I’ve ever seen in this country!

Saw some red ones in Germany ealier this year in the fishroom at a friends house…he hadn’t any offspring yet unfortunately.

My remaining 8 Y. crucuatus is in a 54 litre tank along with 8 Microrasbora erythromicron. Furnishing is sand with bogwood plastered with javafern and anubias. Definately some of the funniest fish to watch! I hope for fry some day…it has been done in Norway and Germany so why not DK as well

andy rushworth
    Participant

Good Luck Kim

Kajsa12
    Participant

I’ve got 11 Y. cruciatus for two months now.
    They are indeed funny to watch.

I wonder why they are named ‘cruciatus’, although I do see them sometimes harassing the Cobitis sp. who are twice their size.

Matt
    Keymaster

Does anyone know more about how to breed these? Everyone still have them?

Mark Duffill
    Participant

I just did the same with these as I have with the rest Matt, put them in a tank and left them to it, fry just turn up from time to time.

Same basic layout as other tanks, internal power filter, lots of plants, lots of cobbles and pebbles and some leaf litter. One thing I have noticed with these is that the smaller the tank I keep mine in the less I see them.

The ph of the tank sits just under 7, the tank is unheated and is at the bottom of the stairs so gets quite a bit of afternoon sun through the glass door.

Matt
    Keymaster

Thanks Mark, you still breeding it?

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Yes Matt, fry still turn up from time to time, I will probably have to strip the tank down soon to see just how many are in there.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.