Well, that’s it, the original SF website is no more. While it served us well over the last 4 or 5 years we felt an update was long overdue, so here we are with a shiny, fresh version packed with new stuff!
Apart from the obvious facelift we’ve given everything, there are a number of additional features, most of which should already be fully-functional. Please try them out and report any problems you encounter here, or offer feedback here, and take a few minutes to read through the remainder of this introduction.
New public features include:
- full integration with social networking sites. Share news items, blogs, articles, and species profiles via Facebook, Twitter, Linked In, Google+ and more!
- RSS functionality for news, discussion, comments, and species updates.
- new ‘advanced’ and ‘beginner’ search options (see below for more details).
- redesigned Knowledge Base with a major species update already under way.
- glossary with over 1600 entries.
- Special ‘hover-over’ functionality for highlighted glossary terms and species names throughout the Knowledge Base.
- there’s a fancy thing on the home page where you can see the latest species updates.*
In addition, registered users are now able to:
- comment on news items, blogs, articles, and species profiles.
- use our new ‘Questions and Answers‘ section.
- choose preferred display options for units of measurement.
- choose whether to display a basic ‘difficulty rating’ on each species profile.
- receive newsletters and special offers.
- enter competitions.
An important note about search functionality and species updates:
The ‘beginner search’ is exactly that, and based on a series of somewhat arbitrary questions. It’s not aimed at nor suggested for those with experience, and results are limited to contain only a selection of species considered relatively easy to maintain.
*Some aspects of search functionality and the Knowledge Base landing page will not work correctly for a short period since we still have a fair amount of data entry to complete. For this reason species updates will initially appear a little speedier than normal while we update these basic details.
That’s it for now, don’t forget to leave feedback or report problems in the relevant forums, and expect regular updates as we add new features already in the pipeline. We very much hope you enjoy the new site and look forward to seeing you around!
The SF Team