LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

10 gallon Nano tank

Home Forums My Aquarium 10 gallon Nano tank

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Eurasian 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

GelaMac
    Participant

Hello,

I am new and want to start a 10g nano tank. My heater stays between 79.9-81 ish and I would like to know what small fish would be suited and how many of each fish I should have.

I am a fan of pygmy corys, chili rasboras and shrimp but looking for other options.

Thanks in advance.

Eurasian
    Participant

Hi!

I suggest you do some research – also asking fellow aquarists around you – and invest in a quality test kit: pH – water hardness – Nitrates – Nitrites – Ammonia. Paper/plastic strips that change color are not precise enough: you need a kit with drops and powders.

It is important to understand the nitrogen cycle. The smaller the tank, the more care is needed to preserve good water quality. Ammonia is toxic even in small amounts.

It is also important to cycle a tank sufficiently: to give it enough time for biological equilibrium to establish itself. There are products on the market that can help that to happen.

The type of fish you can actually keep in your tank is very much determined by the type of water you have: pH and hardness, apart from temperature, tank size, temperament (compatibility) of eligible fish.

I have very alkaline water: pH about 8.5, which is also pretty hard. Therefore I have very little choice. As a matter of fact, I have Tanganyikan shell-dwelling cichlids: http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/neolamprologus-multifasciatus/

Good for me that cichlids have always been my favorite fish; my multies are the world’s smallest cichlids. They live in and around empty snail houses and look like tiny freshwater coral fish.

In a 10 gallon – provided you have the right type of water – you could only keep a pair/one male with few females: the males are territorial. But when they start spawning, they do multiply considerably I am being told. They dig a lot and need no plants. Just empty snail houses, at least a couple for each fish.

I think that the fish you mentioned are an excellent choice, for they are tiny and peaceful.

BTW, the more plants you have, the better.

Another small fish is Dario dario: http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/dario-dario/

Although tiny, in a 10 gallon you could keep only one male – another territorial species – with multiple females.

You could browse the many fish profiles on this site in order to see if your tank size and water parameters are suitable for any other fish you’d like to keep.

Hopefully I have said at least something which is useful to you.

Good luck from Italy!

Miguel

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by  Eurasian.
    • This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by  Eurasian.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.