LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

14 December Is Happy Betta macrostoma Day

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes 14 December Is Happy Betta macrostoma Day

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 123 total)
  • Author

Stefan

If I may I would like to suggest lowering the pH to anywhere between 3.8 – 5.5 and the temp to 23 – 24 C for both keeping and breeding. Maybe adding more decorations (plants etc.) might enable a pair being kept together again? It could be worth a shot.

harnsheng
    Participant

I got some Betta macrostoma juveniles recently too. Decided to housed them in the cement pond instead with some rocks, java ferns, anubias and egeria densa. There’s were fire red shrimps, X.montezumae and endlers population in there (great live foods for the mac!)

Added peat to lower the ph to about 6 (maybe i should add more peat), temp recorded were 25-26C.

Feeding them now with NLS Thera A and they accept readily.

Hope i can raise all of them to maturity and hopefully, they will breed in there too! XD

pablito
    Participant

QUOTE (Stefan @ Dec 21 2010, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    If I may I would like to suggest lowering the pH to anywhere between 3.8 – 5.5 and the temp to 23 – 24 C for both keeping and breeding. Maybe adding more decorations (plants etc.) might enable a pair being kept together again? It could be worth a shot.

Now that we’re going to have a serious attempt at spawning Stefan we will be doing all you suggest.
    Ta.
    When are you coming to the UK again?

Colin
    Participant

In time for the AAGB meeting the first weekend of April!!!!

Will you be coming along too Pablito? It’ll be a good weekend!!!!!

Stefan

QUOTE (pablito @ Dec 22 2010, 04:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Now that we’re going to have a serious attempt at spawning Stefan we will be doing all you suggest.
    Ta.
    When are you coming to the UK again?

Good luck mate!

As my secretary accurately pointed out, I will stay in the UK for about a week come April and will attend the AAGB meeting – my first.

Colin
    Participant

What is the topic for your talk BTW?

Stefan

QUOTE (Colin @ Dec 22 2010, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    What is the topic for your talk BTW?

pablito
    Participant

QUOTE (Colin @ Dec 22 2010, 05:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    In time for the AAGB meeting the first weekend of April!!!!

Will you be coming along too Pablito? It’ll be a good weekend!!!!!

Don’t yet know whether I can get there both days but will certainly be there for a least one Colin.

Colin
    Participant

Very good

Stefan

Has anyone ever identified the species of red shrimp it shares its habitat with?

http://tuckfai.blogspot.com/2008/12/betta-…tomas-trip.html

Matt
    Keymaster

Slightly better pic of the shrimp in our profile (5th pic). Identified as a Macrobrachium sp. but no specific id.

Where’s the AAGB meeting being held gents?

Stefan

Excellent Matt! I was looking all around for a decent pic and didn’t realize there was one that close to home. Are these shrimp imported? I’m also very curious why only the fish and that shrimp live in the biotope (why not other fish (e.g. Rabora, loaches etc.) or other invertebrates)?

Matt
    Keymaster

From what I can gather the Betta are only found above waterfalls which act as a natural barrier for other species. Never seen those shrimp in the trade nope.

Stefan

QUOTE (Matt @ Dec 24 2010, 05:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    From what I can gather the Betta are only found above waterfalls which act as a natural barrier for other species. Never seen those shrimp in the trade nope.

Yeah but that wouldn’t keep a crab or something from inhabiting it? The macs must feel like kings in the wild being the sole fish living there and with their daily choice to eat shrimp or not

Shankar

Stefan, a few offsprings this way pls. *drool*

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 123 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.