LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

14 December Is Happy Betta macrostoma Day

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes 14 December Is Happy Betta macrostoma Day

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 123 total)
  • Author

wayne_r

QUOTE (Colin @ Feb 16 2011, 10:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    actually – just remembered they go crazy for crickets. Get some crickets from a pet shop that sells reptiles and feed tetra prima to the crickets then after about 20 mins feed the crickets to the macrostoma. that way they get a nice tasty prima-filled snack that looks like prey and will get a response as it swims across the surface

What a great idea… I like the sound of that, I’ll let you know how I get on.
    the sound of the crickets in my room might be a step to far with the missus…

wayne_r

White and grindal worm cultures I lost to fruit flies, I’ve never seen them in the room, so I assume they were already in the soil, although I have just levelled both front and back garden with a digger, and the midges and flies from the clay was unreal…

I think they were fruit flies, little white crawlies throughout the cultures…

Stefan

QUOTE (wayne_r @ Feb 17 2011, 12:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    White and grindal worm cultures I lost to fruit flies, I’ve never seen them in the room, so I assume they were already in the soil, although I have just levelled both front and back garden with a digger, and the midges and flies from the clay was unreal…

I think they were fruit flies, little white crawlies throughout the cultures…

That can happen yeah; they just materialize in there. Maybe the holes in the lit were too big? I’ve never had that misfortune luckily.

wayne_r

QUOTE (Stefan @ Feb 17 2011, 08:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    That can happen yeah; they just materialize in there. Maybe the holes in the lit were too big? I’ve never had that misfortune luckily.

I was gutted because they take a while to get established and then gone within a week…
    I use large bait boxes for my cultures and there supposed to keep unwanted flies and such out…

Stefan

I made my own holes in the lit with a calliper, it’s called I believe?

Colin
    Participant

little white crawlies sounds like mites rather than drosophila. best bet is to microwave any soil you are going to use for cultures to kill off the nasties

wayne_r

QUOTE (Colin @ Feb 17 2011, 03:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    little white crawlies sounds like mites rather than drosophila. best bet is to microwave any soil you are going to use for cultures to kill off the nasties /thumbs_up.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:thumbsup:” border=”0″ alt=”thumbs_up.gif” />

I tried the crickets, it barely touched the water and the male had it, I put another in for the female just above as she was checking it out, I think she got a smell of it just before the male snapped it up, you could still see the other wriggling around in his mouth… what a pig but what a result…
    thanks again Colin

Colin
    Participant

Ah thats very good news – its probably the movement on teh surface that really triggers the response. Just make sure and feed the crickets on a good flake food or prima for a while before and use them quickly afterwards before the cricket starts to break them down… (Years ago when I kept big Pims I used to hide cichlid pellets and veggies inside trout to feed them a more balanced diet. I had a red tailed catfish that did actually have a RED tail

wayne_r

QUOTE (Colin @ Feb 18 2011, 07:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Ah thats very good news – its probably the movement on teh surface that really triggers the response. Just make sure and feed the crickets on a good flake food or prima for a while before and use them quickly afterwards before the cricket starts to break them down… (Years ago when I kept big Pims I used to hide cichlid pellets and veggies inside trout to feed them a more balanced diet. I had a red tailed catfish that did actually have a RED tail

Matt
    Keymaster

12 days – fingers crossed Colin! Is that a record for you?

Colin
    Participant

Yes… this is as far as I have ever got with macrostoma before. I chatted with Haji earlier today and he reckons we should be home free now. Now, I am going to leave both parents together and just let the male release the fry in the tank with no alterations. It should probably take the male between 25 and 30 days to release the fry… but by all accounts they should be larger than most newly released Betta fry.

Love/hate – absolutely! Never had a fish before that can be so exciting and so bloody demoralising at the same time LOL

Also, out of interest, I got a comparatively huge spawn from M kretseri this week, about 60 fry, that beats previous records by about double for me!

Colin
    Participant

Well, male number 2 has now reached 12 days of incubation but after 29 days male number 1 has started to spit out fry today. At first only one this morning but now I can see five. I was amazed at how big they are as fry compared to all other species I have bred, but then, 29 days is a much longer incubation… (I can’t believe now that LadyRed had macs spit out large fry in 16 days?!)

Anyway, here are some pics taken while trying not to disturb the male too much, hence quite crappy pics but here they are…. and the male still has plenty to go by the looks of it

Stefan

You, have earned a pint!

TorbenL

QUOTE (Stefan @ Mar 7 2011, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    You, have earned a pint!

Great news Colin!

I never had him passed the 5th day. i sent my huge remaining female to Norway to a male waiting up there..well maybe he will do a better job ( both fishowner and macmale 😉 )

Matt
    Keymaster

At last! Congrats Colin, you must be well-chuffed.

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 123 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.