LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

14 December Is Happy Betta macrostoma Day

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes 14 December Is Happy Betta macrostoma Day

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 123 total)
  • Author

Colin
    Participant

Cheers!

Yes, the young ones will stay in the same tank for at least a couple weeks. I have taken out the female and will be able to fatten up the male again in the time being… off to have a look now to see how many I can see today

TorbenL

CONGRATS Colin..Great news

Colin
    Participant

Thanks Torben

Interesting that there are no more fry yet today and he is still carrying fry about. Perhaps he just ran out of space and a few escaped while he wasn’t looking?

Haji Badaruddin
    Participant

Congrats Colin … They can spawn again after 2 weeks of the fry release.

Colin
    Participant

Hi Haji, yeah I figured that they would spawn again quickly but I have split the pair up so I can give the male a good feed. Would parents left in with their fry spawn again while the first fry are still in the tank?

It took about three days for the male to spit out all the fry but he is feeding now. My highest fry count is about 20, so that’s not so bad. Male 2 is on about day 18 of brooding so he should have approx ten days of brooding left?

cheers

Haji Badaruddin
    Participant

The problem with this is the older fry will nibble and harass the newly released ones … At one point i had about 18 pairs or so spawning and releasing fry … so i was not able to move the pair around … space was limited.

Some do survive but BEST if you can do a new setup for the pair to start over again.This way you get to maximize the number of the fry produced.In my case i prefer not to move the fry.

Colin
    Participant

Just an update –

I have had another batch of fry spat out over the last couple of days. Same male as the first batch but a different female. They are hiding quite well but counted at least five.

The batch which were spat out last time are now about 25mm or so long – which is about a month’s worth of growth

Colin
    Participant

got a video of these guys too but the focus is not great http://youtu.be/NTsgYLUNPaU

Stefan

Colin
    Participant

yeah – better send me a link to a full course on youtube videos lol

Stefan

I like your vid; your young ones appear to be growing faster than my subadults LOL

Matt
    Keymaster

Superb work Colin.

Colin
    Participant

got about 18 – 20 from that lot and about the same from another spawn with a different female. I think the largest are about 30mm now, not bad for just over a month

robert
    Participant

hi col
    sweet video mate,they are coming on really well.
    good news about the second spawn aswell,sounds like a macro orgy in your fish house

Colin
    Participant

Been a while since I last updated on the Betta macrostoma but got a few points worth noting for other people who try the species…

The fry from the pictures above dated 7/3/11 are now approximately 45-50mm long TL. I cant sex them but they have became increasingly more active with regards to posturing and showing off to each other. They often lose a lot of the characteristic horizontal barring and become a peachy-orangey colour.

I now have two reliable breeding pairs who seem to be compatible and produce fry.

Up until this current spawning i have always taken the female out at after a couple of weeks to let the male brood by himself. I was quite nervous about the leaving the female in – in case she ate the fry. This has happened before to me with other Betta species where other fishkeepers have been able to keep both adults with the fry. In fact, I heard yesterday that a pair of Betta pi I sold has a female who hunts down and eats the fry whereas I have never had that problem with a waseri complex fish.

Anyway, this time I have left the female in and she totally ignores the fry, to the extent that they are almost sitting on her head. if a fry makes a quick dash she chases as if it’s food but she quickly realises its a baby and ignores it.

The male has been spitting out fry for about three days now and today I thought he was empty as his throat area look flat and he was not making the gulping motions. I fed the female a huge earthworm to distract her and the male took and ate a small worm about 2cm long. THEN it looked like he hiccuped and five fry jumped out of his mouth, they very quickly made a dive for the bottom of the tank but he caught two of them again. A few moments later he took a breath from the surface and another three fry jumped out of his mouth – again he chased them down and caught two. This happened a couple of times so there are more fry still in there to emerge. Counted about twenty in the tank in one go.

Interesting stuff

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 123 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.