LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

150 Coldwater

Home Forums My Aquarium 150 Coldwater

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

kizno1
    Participant

QUOTE (Colin @ Dec 14 2010, 10:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    asiatica are the cheapest on that list and can be sourced for about a fiver each, bleheri about a tenner and gachua can also take the cooler temps, again probably average about a tenner… okay, its not as much fun as catching your own LOL

cheers

Colin
    Participant

ouch!!!!!

if you decide to go down the Channa route give me a shout!

kizno1
    Participant

QUOTE (Colin @ Dec 14 2010, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    ouch!!!!!

if you decide to go down the Channa route give me a shout!

ATM its looking that way but once ive finished making the lid ill let you know, Cheers.

kizno1
    Participant

Some on has suggested Gymnogeophagus to me because they need a cool period. Do all of them need cool periods or is it just a few types? What types would work best? In the winter i could keep the water about 15c with a 300w heater and in the summer about 25c. Oddballs express have quite a few different ones in for good prices so i would probably get 8-10 to start of with.

Matt
    Keymaster

That would be a good choice and yes they experience an annual cool period in nature.

kizno1
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Jan 29 2011, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    That would be a good choice and yes they experience an annual cool period in nature.

Cheers, I was thinking of Going for Geophagus if i could set it up tropical so there the next closest thing. I think im going to go for group of Gymnogeophagus yerbilito, Oddballs express have F1s at 2″ for £8.50. How many do you think i should get? I was thinking 8-10 and then thinning it down if needed once they get bigger.

Matt
    Keymaster

Hmm think ‘Yerbilito’ is a locality rather than species name – guessing these are something close to G. gymnogenys or G. labiatus, or a regional form of one of them. 8-10 seems like a reasonable number to start off with.

kizno1
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Jan 29 2011, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hmm think ‘Yerbilito’ is a locality rather than species name – guessing these are something close to G. gymnogenys or G. labiatus, or a regional form of one of them. 8-10 seems like a reasonable number to start off with.

Fair enough, the G. gymnogenys are the ones i like the look of so hopefully its them. Cheers.

Jarcave
    Participant

Wharfe Aquatics in Pinxton have been selling coarse fish for a while now. I’ve seen pike, perch, roach, rudd, gudgeon and tench for sure. They’re probably had a few more in stock as well.

It’s my understanding that these have been sourced from commercial fisheries as it’s technically illegal to remove most coarse fish from public rivers (I believe pike are an exception if you hold an EA rod license in England and Wales). The EA should be able confirm.

I know it’s a bit daft as I know a fair few fisheries where removing a few perch etc would do no long term harm. I know a few wild brown trout fisheries that could do with a damned good thinning out too as there isn’t enough food for the fish to attain a decent size and they’re teaming with fish weighing three to a pound!

I agree with Matt though, that your tank might not be big enough for a shoal of perch for life. Unless you’re rehoming them as they grow. They’re great looking fish though.

If you’re not decided on Channa yet, there are a few North American species that crop up now and then that look quite interesting. Just check you don’t need an ILFA license first.

You need this to buy 23 pence rosy red shiners at a trade outlet near me! If only the UK still manufactured stuff eh? No need to invent pointless red tape to keep people gainfully employed!

I went fishing on Loch Treig last year. In front of me at the lochs edge were literally hundreds of tiny 2″ to 3″ pike. Catching a few with a net would have been no problem at all. I’d have loved to have grown a couple on in a tank to 12″ or so and then released them in a canal near here which is full of them. God only knows how many laws I’d have broken doing that though.

The irony being that many of the lochs in that area historically, have been ‘seeded’ with pike deliberately to annoy the lairds who fish for trout!

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.