LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Adventures In Thailand 2011

Home Forums Field Trips & Conservation Adventures In Thailand 2011

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 73 total)
  • Author

andy rushworth
    Participant

Hi Matt , to be certain isn’t easy there are three fish that look very similar and belong to the Poropuntius group , P. deuratus , P.laoensis and P. normani I guess it might be possible to norrow by location , strangely enough I’ve got four 10inch specimens of P.laoensis which I picked up from Pier aquatics a while back , they are pretty gentle considering their size a little boisterous with a loose pecking order ? but placid enough , nice fish for a largish tank

Plaamoo
    Participant

Met with Nonn last night for a gecko hunt. He says p. normani. He asys the homaloptera is just a smithi working it’s camoflouge.
    All from the same place Matt. The same place I posted from last year, Chantaburi province. I’m headed to a few more place today that he showed me on the map. It rained yesterday so hoping the water is clear.

There were several of these I’d never seen before. Very shy, couldn’t get a good pic.
    neolisocheilus soroides(spelling?)

Having difficulty uploading video. here’s a short one.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuC3yTjIrpk
    one more.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVl1_3dluFE

Matt
    Keymaster

You sure about that last one Jim? Looks more like Belontia or something to me?

This is what I have for N. soroides (Nonn’s pic):

Attached files

Plaamoo
    Participant

ooops! I got things confused! Try pteolepis fasciatus.

Not much luck today. The Cambodian border stream was muddy again and the waterfall I visited after was heavily peat stained from yesterdays rains. No good for underwater pics. I did catch a small schistura, saw several others looked like maybe 3 different sp. but too quick & too dark to tell what they were. Caught a few eels. I might have to give the wife a breather from patiently waiting beside the stream.

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Like Matt I would have said Belontia or similar but I was more interested in the size of that catfish mouth below it

Matt
    Keymaster

QUOTE (plaamoo @ Feb 16 2011, 11:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    ooops! I got things confused! Try pteolepis fasciatus.

Ahh Pristolepis of course. Kept a single P. grooti (think so) for a while and it was one of the nastiest fish I’ve ever had. Ripped the fins of my Geophagus to pieces within 24 hours but was ok when put in with medium-sized cyprinids (Barilius, Opsarius, Puntius, Garra).

Plaamoo
    Participant

I had no idea what it was, Nonn was picking the names out of his head last night and said spelling was questionable. There were some young n. soroides in another pic & i got them confused. I guess the pristolepus are pretty good eating!

Unfortunately Mark, i didn’t even see the catfish until I looked at the pics last night with Nonn.

A bad day with the camera! Poor shots, the plastic photo tank isn’t working well at all and the cold weather & the outside heat cause constant condensation on it. Then while trying to shoot this schistura that I finally managed to catch, I slipped and my new sb-600 took a swim! Don’t know if it will work again?

A larger schistura that stayed put for 2 seconds!

The one I caught.

This eel was longer than the photo tank and not at all happy!

Plaamoo
    Participant

In between gecko hunts we visited a small mangrove estuary and found some interesting little fish!

[IMG]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z229/bigsky_photos/Adventures%20in%20Thailand%202011/1_27.jpg[/IMG]

Nonn said possibly a new sp. of mugiligobius, and another goby???. He has a friend in BKK studying these so took some back with him.

Please forgive me if I don’t reply to comments as internet access is limited while traveling!

keith565
    Participant

fab, be interesting to see if these gobies can be identified.

Matt
    Keymaster

Other one is a Brachygobius sp.? All cool stuff Jim!

andy rushworth
    Participant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy4V_8U2bz8…feature=related

Hi Jim , found this interesting vid ?

Mark Duffill
    Participant

QUOTE (andy rushworth @ Feb 18 2011, 06:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice one Andy /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” />

Matt
    Keymaster

What are those gudgeon-like fish in that video Andy? Abbottina sp.?

Mark = flash get.

Plaamoo
    Participant

Nice vid Andy! Took me awhile to download, really nice collection of fishes!! I’m back in BKK and will try to get back to JJ and get the name of that fish.

After discouraging attempts(unclear waters) at a few other locations, and a day on the beach for my honey, I went back to my favorite stream for round 2! Was a Thai holiday and 200 kids swimming in the pools above so not quite as clear. I found a few more fish. The schistura species that we saw last year( I think the same), a really cool catfish(I’ll have to show Nonn the pics for ID unless one of you know?), A garra(cambogiensis), and several of the larger catfish that showed it’s whiskers in the last trip(very shy, no pic) I’ll put a few pics here, more in the PB

http://s192.photobucket.com/albums/z229/bi…hailand%202011/

andy rushworth
    Participant

Hi Jim , some wonderful pics there ! I can see a Siamensis cat and a Glytothorax type cat too /wub.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:wub:” border=”0″ alt=”wub.gif” />

Hi Matt I was thinking the gudgion like fish was a Pseudigobius sp/ ? I dont know what you thought , but to me it was wierd like it was based in somebodys kitchen ? and every so often another fish sp/ would swim by /wub.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:wub:” border=”0″ alt=”wub.gif” />

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 73 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.