LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Amazon Biotopes

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Amazon Biotopes

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

clark136
    Participant

QUOTE (stingrays4 @ Dec 12 2008, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi i think biotopes are great, but just how realistic can it be in all honesty? The amazon is a HUGE river with some very diverse area’s,hence why its so popular i guess!! So unless you are lucky enough to do as Heiko bleher and actually visit the area then we can only make educated guess’s?
    Good luck and be great to see some photo’s no matter how poor!

I agree – The only true way to ever recreate the exact habitat all fish come from is to let mother nature take its course over thousands of years until i have discus swimming around my local river in the UK /biggrin.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:D” border=”0″ alt=”biggrin.gif” /> Heiko actually gave me a few good tips on how to breed the cardinal tetra on another site that i am on, his knowledge is fantastic!

I have found some great looking bits of wood in my lfs – i think they called it vine wood – picking osme up on friday, its going to look great!!

stingrays4

Hi well said /biggrin.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:D” border=”0″ alt=”biggrin.gif” />
    But a question – with many bread and butter fish being bred commercialy they have never seen there ‘real’ homes? Just a thought.

Richy
    Participant

QUOTE (stingrays4 @ Dec 20 2008, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi well said /biggrin.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:D” border=”0″ alt=”biggrin.gif” />
    But a question – with many bread and butter fish being bred commercialy they have never seen there ‘real’ homes? Just a thought.

I used to think this too, but, if you think about it. In theory the fish will still pass “genes (or whatever the fish terminology is)” down the line and know what they prefer and will look and be happier in the right conditions to the envioronment.

Apologies if I went off topics, 4am and havent read it all

clark136
    Participant

Although it goes against what i have already said, i guess one could ‘argue’ that fish don’t really need their biotope to be happy – look at how a lot of breeders spawn discus – in a bare tank with brightish lights and a bright blue background – the fish would breed if they werent ‘happy’ with the arrangements. or are they only breeding because they DONT like the environment they have been put into and they ‘fear’ for the future – so they are trying to boost the population?

lol, the more i type the more strange contravercial ideas i come up with – BUT either way i still believe the fish would be less stressed and more ‘at home’ whether they are wild caught or not, in a biotope tank. There is something to be said however for the notion that captive bred fish ‘dont know any better’ than a bare tank for example, and therefore they may be happiest in such a tank?!?! ARRGHH too much to think about lol

By the way, just to bring us kicking and screaming back to where we started – im having to put my plans on hold for my main tank – i have a young pair of discus in there at the moment before they move on to bigger things – trouble is, they have spawned on the outlet pipe for the external filter lol!! i htink i’ll still do my smaller tank though.

the photo is of the 100litre tank that i was going to setup – as you can see its pretty bare but the sand looks good and the small bits of wood i have there at the moment dont look out of place. It need twigs, a background and floating plants to make it complete – the java moss isnt true to biotope

Attached files

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.