LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Anabas testudineus

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Anabas testudineus

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  harnsheng 7 years ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Is this species aggressive when maintained in a group? Reports appear to vary. I do remember us having small ones in at the shop a couple of times and they seemed quite peaceful with one another.

oaken
    Participant

Never kept it myself but I’ve observed this species in some showtanks in a fish store in Stockholm and never seen any aggression whatsoever. These aquariums were pretty big though. I would guess they were around 400-500 litres.

harnsheng
    Participant

Usually seen tankfuls of them, no signs of aggression. Perhaps the numbers of fish in the tank somehow reduce their aggression? However, i’ve rarely seen them fighting with each other though, even in a tank of few individuals.

Matt
    Keymaster

Ok thanks guys, were these adults or juveniles?

oaken
    Participant

They were at least 15-20 cm TL.

Matt
    Keymaster

Thanks Gustav!

Colin
    Participant

I had a batch of twenty and seen no aggression. They were ca. 60mm and through selling ended up with dwindling numbers from twenty down to three or four and still no aggression.

Interestingly Patrick was here at the time and he told me that this species is used to ward off evil spirits in its home range. So if a family believe they are being haunted they will keep some Anabas in the home and evil ghosts will not cross the threshold of the house.

Also, they hurt!

harnsheng
    Participant

Matt, i observed this in both fries, juveniles and adults stage. They living peacefully

Author
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.