LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Aphanius question

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Aphanius question

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Aphanius don’t really jump no – only time it’s ever happened here was with an A. mento male trying to escape another one. Personally I wouldn’t try to breed them this year since any young born at this time in the wild wouldn’t be reproducing until the following Spring.

mikev
    Participant

yes, you were right: no breeding hopes until spring. They definitely grow much slower than other killies, despite looking fine they are only 0.5″.

mikev
    Participant

Matt et al,

Any hints on breeding?

These guys were born last August, and I think should be mature enough now… I gave them a mop a few days ago, but no eggs.

Too young? Need bottom mop? life food? (they get artemia daily) or seasonal (per profile).

Incidentally, very attractive now… not sorry at all I got them.

Thanks!

Graham Ramsay
    Participant

I’ve kept iberus, dispar and mento. Of these iberus is certainly the easiest. Bred more or less as soon as you could sex them. Love newly hatched brine shrimp. I spawned them in pairs in a small tank with 3 or 4 hanging mops.

mikev
    Participant

Thank you Graham

Hmm.. it is a.iberus… and they sexed out 3+ months ago, and are fed well I hope (artemia daily + frozen foods). And I do have a couple of very fat females (plus at least 6 males).
    Shows how lousy I am :(

mikev
    Participant

Scrap this… they were simply slow to recognize the mop… I have eggs and a couple of super-colorful males flanking the mop now. :D

One more question on these chaps if I may:

I keep the group at about TDS=400, pH=8 .. do you think a.iberis would do well at about TDS=150, pH=7.1? (if this is sensible I will raise new fry with these settings, this would make my life much easier).

Matt
    Keymaster

That would be fine Mike, they’re pretty unfussy provided the water isn’t acidic. Congrats on the eggs!

mikev
    Participant

Thanks Matt,

Few more things while I’m looking at them…

Notice that the profile says 7.5+ for pH.

Don’t know yet if they are any good, but i get 3-4 every day (2 females only). I might have had eggs all the time, they hide them quite well.

I need to take photos of these chaps.. the males seem more colorful than the profile photos, possibly another locale or even not a.iberus.

Also, notice that the profile says “The eggs are very small and must be treated carefully. Use a fine pair of forceps to gently remove pieces of medium with eggs attached whilst avoiding contact with the eggs themselves.”

Well, the eggs are not small, they are of a “typical killie size”: Fundulopanchax/Aphyosemion/Lucania eggs are of the same order of size… rainbow eggs are typically smaller, sometimes 1/2 of size. I would not use words “small eggs” for any species where the fry is artemia capable. Not yet sure about “must be treated carefully”/”avoiding contact with the eggs themselves.” — we’ll see how true this is, I simply pick them using my fingers for now.

Do you have any data on sex determination? — I do wonder about me getting 8:2 m:f split. (Actually such data would be very valuable in profiles for any species that is commonly bred.)

Matt
    Keymaster

Let me check re. sex determination. Pretty sure I read that there naturally tend to be more males than females.

Will change the profile minimum pH to 7.0 as hardness seems more important anyway.

3-4 eggs per day is normal for the number of fish you have as some will undoubtedly be being eaten and agreed they’re not that small and can be handled without problem. I also take eggs from all my Aphanius with my fingers. Think I may have copy-pasted that from the A. asquamatus profile without noticing…

Your fish undoubtedly look more colourful than fish in the profile because they’re spawning. Still not managed to get a really good shot of a male in breeding dress. 😡 

Please do get some pics of yours! Did they come labelled with any population details?

Graham Ramsay
    Participant

Nicely done Mike. I used my fingers to remove eggs with no issues. Considering the size of the fish I don’t think the eggs are particularly small either.

aphanius_iberus_pair-1.jpg

mikev
    Participant

Thanks guys,

Does not seem that the eggs are all that good… I see only one developing so far, but this I can work on. Tuning params to force more females would be quite helpful in the current situation if this is at all possible.

I’ll try photos (you know how lousy I am with that)… but they are more colorful than profile always (and yes, supernice when spawning). The population is ” Alt Emporda”… hopefully this means something to you.

Matt
    Keymaster

I was wrong about the sex ratio. Seems that when it is skewed females are favoured and would imagine that more extreme conditions such as higher temperatures would lead to this. Got some papers if you fancy a read Mike?

‘Alt Emporda’ refers to the northernmost populations of A. iberus here in Catalunya. Am guessing the original fish were collected from Frá Ramón lagoon since access there is easy whereas others in the area are off-limits to the public. Here’s a couple of habitat pics:

DSC_0225-1.JPGDSC_0236-1.JPG

mikev
    Participant

thanks Matt,

I will gladly take papers…I will even more appreciate a statement on what to do to skew the ratio toward more females!–maybe you read/sense the answer already.
    (My group btw has a couple of half-size males … i did not watch them carefully to know for sure but suspect that they might have been born in the tank…and that they are also males makes me think that perhaps I overdid on ph and hardness).

Matt
    Keymaster
    Honestly couldn’t say what to do in terms of water chemistry as I’ve never experimented but you could maybe try raising the eggs in slightly warmer conditions?

I don’t think you overdid though, conditions at the delta site are pretty similar to those you posted above and we get a more-or-less even ratio of males vs. females.

How are the eggs getting on?

mikev
    Participant

eggs — will let you know in a few days. I cannot see any good or bad signs on them yet.

I’ll try raising at 80F this time, thanks.

Generally, info on sex determination (for all species) would be very valuable if we can collect it.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.