LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Aphanius Vladykovi

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Aphanius Vladykovi

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  mzapater 9 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

pablito
    Participant

Picked up a pair of these yesterday. Has anyone any experience of their husbandry?

Attached files

Matt
    Keymaster

Cool.

Attached files

mzapater
    Participant

Hi Paul.

This is one of the most beautiful Aphanius for sure. And luckily not an agressive species, so you can keep them together without much concern for the female (never do that with A. mento”).

We keep them outdoors all year round, although a friend has ver good results in a closed terrace in the city centre.

The eggs are quite small for an Aphanius, thus the fry are also tiny, but you should be able to raise them well on artemia nauplii, they do eat dry food quite soon too.

Here they start laying eggs by the beginning of March. You can either put woollen mops or filamentous algae and then either collect the eggs one by one as with other killies or just put the algae in a different tank when they are full of eggs. I don´t advise you to leave the fry with the adults unless you have a big tank and many hiding places.

Don t´worry about extreme temperatures, they do live under ice for some days, or at more than 30 ºC (water temperature) for weeks. Also not fussy on food, they take dry food quite well. Try to give them lots of vegetal matter though.

Anything you want to know, just ask me and I´ll try to answer you.

Good luck with this fantastic species, the good thing is that the males keep their nice colour even during Winter time.

Manuel…

ps: An A. vladykovi datasheet (in Spanish though)

pablito
    Participant

Manual
    fantastic information you’ve supplied and a PDF too.
    My Spanish is rusty and I’ve become lazy in its use so the PDF will give me an incentive to pull my finger out.
    I will come back to you if I need any more information and thank you for the offer. You given me good ideas to work on.

mzapater
    Participant

Hi Paul,

Just forgot to add, we don´t use marine salt for A. vladykovi, nor any other salts, just plain hard water.

Good luck!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.