LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Betta albimarginata?

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Betta albimarginata?

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

QUOTE (Colin @ Dec 16 2010, 07:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    is one drawback to phosphoric acid not that higher phosphates can result?

Yer you’re super-lucky with your water. dry.gif To be honest I never tested for phosphates because never had any problems. Could be an issue though?

harnsheng
    Participant

Isnt phosphates one of the main causes of algae in the water? hehe..

Anyway, i’ve heard of muriatic acid to lower the ph but more commonly used in ponds instead of tanks. I always preferred peat granules (i use JBL Tormec) and the fishes loves it! Here in Asia, many will opt for the Ketapang leaves (Indian Almond Leave) but it stains the water heavily unlike peat.

Stefan

I find peat to colour the water also (which I like very much and so do the fish; it’s a common colour in their habitat also) but the level of colouring may vary from batch to batch.

Colin
    Participant

yeah and rather than buying IAL I tend to use self collected species such as oak and beech… cheaper

Matt
    Keymaster

I once bought some genuine ‘bog’ peat – used it with Microctenopoma ansorgii and the results were amazing. Didn’t even know they’d bred until juveniles started rising up out of the substrate at feeding time. Does anyone know if it’s feasible to collect this stuff in small quantities for aquarium use?

Jim, sorry for the derail!

Plaamoo
    Participant

Not at all Matt. It’s all good info, just what I was looking for.

I brought back a big bag of ketapang leaves from Thailand last year, more than I’ll ever use. I’ll stop at the local nursery soon and see what they have for peat granules & additives.

Colin
    Participant

technically it is not very environmentally sound and most, if not all, garden centres have now stopped stocking it. You need land owner’s permission to collect your own if you have a peat bog near you (UK). Large scale operations are totally unsustainable so should be discouraged

I cover several bogs with my work and have actually considered collecting the water from the bog pools to see how that does? Will try this soon. I might also collect a small amount of peat to see how that affects water too.

These days I use a lot of alder cones too as they are very rich in tannic substances and quickly darken water… Good, free, alternative

Bluedave
    Participant

QUOTE (plaamoo @ Dec 16 2010, 12:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Really appreciate all the help! While we’re at it, care to share your favorite methods of lowering PH, and keeping it stable? I’ve already added a large almond leave to this 5 gal tank with no change after a week.

I used peat to lower pH as others have said – best thing is CO2 though, especially in tanks with low KH

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.