LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Betta Channoides Male

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Betta Channoides Male

This topic contains 17 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  dunc 10 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Here’s a poor quality pic of the male B. channoides, but you get the idea

Attached files

andrew
    Participant

Sweet fish!! What a stunna!

dunc
    Keymaster

Yeah – seen him in the flesh; stunning little fish.

Matt
    Keymaster

Right well I’ve had this pic scrutinised by a few experts and it appears this is B. albimarginata, not B. channoides! Not that I mind, they’re still fantastic fish. Just shows you can’t always trust fish ids from even the most reputable exporters….

dunc
    Keymaster

Oooh! Revelation!

Looked on google, came up with this for albimarginata:

And this for channoides:

What are the key differences between the species, Matt?

Attached files

Matt
    Keymaster

Both channoides those mate. Apparently you can tell by the much redder base colouration whereas albimarginata have more of an orange hue.

Matt
    Keymaster

Lol they may still be channoides

dunc
    Keymaster

If the orange hue is an indicator, then yours are channoides imo.

(©weichwasserfische.de)

That has a distinctive orange hue – presumably albimarginata?

Your fish looks more orange in that photo than it does “in real life”.

Matt
    Keymaster

Yeah that’s a pic of albimarginata Dunc. My fish is the colour it is in the pic I posted when it starts to get frisky. It’s been quite dull when you’ve seen it from what I remember. We’ll see…

Sirkus

wow! the other bettas i saw were nothing on that one!

Matt
    Keymaster

Cheers Kris. He was quite a plain brown colour for the first few days until I introduced them to this tank. The water is filtered through peat, I’ve lowered the pH to around 6ish and chucked in a few Ketapang leaves. He lit up almost as soon as he touched the water

Attached files

miranda
    Participant

indeed the picture shows a betta albimarginata male … i got the both species and lot of people are confused by the species… as soon i can i will post pictures of both species.. betta albimarginata “malinau” and betta channoides pampang”
    also the females are different colored…. albimarginata are normale browner.. but in breedingtime almost black… the fry is black too…
    The female of channoides has stripes and red fins in breedingcolors… the fry is light.

Haji Badaruddin
    Participant

For easy comparison of both fish,Betta albimarginata(From Sebuku river) has a complete black banding at its caudal fin whereas the channoides(Mahakam river) has an incomplete one.

Matt
    Keymaster

Miranda I´m looking forward to seeing your pictures!

I´m almost sure I have channoides as the females in breeding/display colouration look exactly like this picture of yours, Haji (hope you don´t mind me using it

Attached files

Matt
    Keymaster

Haji et al, what are your opinions of the Michael Schlüter pic of albimarginata above? I have never seen an albimarginata that looks like that picture (with the large extent of dark pigmentation and clearly orange rather than red body colour). All the ones I’ve seen posted on different forums etc. resemble channoides much more closely. Any comments? Any habitat/biotope info on channoides would be much appreciated too!

Edit: this is the pic I’m referring to:

Attached files

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.