LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Betta imbellis

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Betta imbellis

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

But how would you then define it from potential hybrids? I’m guessing no genetic sequence exists?

Sorry, this should probably be in a different thread – should I split it?

Colin
    Participant

Has stiktos totally disappeared from the hobby now? I tried Horst last year but even he couldn’t find any

oaken
    Participant

QUOTE (Colin @ May 21 2011, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Has stiktos totally disappeared from the hobby now? I tried Horst last year but even he couldn’t find any

Glaser had something they listed as Betta cf. stiktos quite recently. Actually they still have it.

Colin
    Participant

yeah i seen that – but i tend to worry when I see “cf” especially with some as rare as stiktos!

To think at the IGL meeting in 2008 I decided not to buy some!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stefan

QUOTE (oaken @ May 21 2011, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Glaser had something they listed as Betta cf. stiktos quite recently. Actually they still have it.

Yeah I’ve seen those in the flesh: imbellis. Nothing stiktos about those. The species is no longer in the hobby (and mine all passed away).

oaken
    Participant

Ah, that sucks

C.Way
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ May 20 2011, 10:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Aha, I’ve been waiting for a B. imbellis thread. Are there any reliable characters that can be used to diagnose this species 100%?

1st, locality, you need to get B. Imbellis from places where there are minimum chance of people practising fish fighting(they releasing “loser” from different locality to any nearby water stream & some find a difficult access spot to release winner for breeding, commonly practise in Thailand, northern state of Malaysia and some part of Indonesia)

the reliable traits of an Imbellis- V shape masking, Red highlight crescent of the caudal fin, red tips at the end of the anal fin, irid on it’s body(not as strong as smaragdina) and also, among the few existing species of Splenden group, Imbellis has the smallest size

C.Way
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ May 21 2011, 02:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    It’s quite surprising that B. splendens isn’t considered endangered then, no?

Splenden exist in most part of Thailand, but to find a real splended…erm…something that is pure wild with no human interference(selectively bred, dumping of fighters & so on) is pretty impossible since Thailand is the origin country of “fighting fish”, the culture existed for over hundreds of years, fishes from different localities were all “catch & release”(don’t forget to put fight in between C & R)…

so it’s pretty impossible to get a true form of splenden since the species exist in a country where there are a culture of releasing selective bred fighter(not just selective breeding, but to take hybrid into consideration)

So, extinct or not, depends on how you choose to define the species, some takes the species to named their fancy looking betta, some call it a wild caught fighter, while some call it the pure species without human interference(which is pretty much extinct)

poshsouthernbird
    Participant

Apologies for slightly sidetrack comment but @ C.Way – that’s a fascinating insight into betta splendens

Jarcave
    Participant

Are we sure Betta stiktos is no longer in the hobby?

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auc…&1319471750

Are these the real thing?

Colin
    Participant

I have a guy local to me who bought some from Aquabid a few weeks ago – I will hopefully see them in real life soon

I have never kept them before but Stefan has… I’ll see if he can jump in…

Colin
    Participant

Stefan looked and he said “smaragdina”

This is one fish that I have really kicked myself about because I had the chance of them in 2008 at the IGL in Zwolle and didn’t buy them when I had the chance.

Stefan and two friends in the AAGB all got them at the time!

Jarcave
    Participant

QUOTE (Colin @ Oct 21 2011, 02:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Stefan looked and he said “smaragdina”

This is one fish that I have really kicked myself about because I had the chance of them in 2008 at the IGL in Zwolle and didn’t buy them when I had the chance.

Stefan and two friends in the AAGB all got them at the time!

Sods law! I thought it was worth pointing to the link. /sad.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:(” border=”0″ alt=”sad.gif” />

Colin
    Participant

yes so far so good (other than a mis-ID lol)

I have never used it myself but might look into using it to sell???

Cheers

Jarcave
    Participant

QUOTE (Colin @ Oct 21 2011, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    yes so far so good (other than a mis-ID lol)

I have never used it myself but might look into using it to sell???

Cheers

Apologies to the OP for going off topic. I’ve considered using it for my aquatics hobby business ‘Biotope Aquatics’ as there are not that many UK people on there. It might be worth a punt.

Does your business have a website Colin?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.