LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Betta livida from North Selangor

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Betta livida from North Selangor

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 95 total)
  • Author

C.Way
    Participant

QUOTE (Stefan @ Apr 15 2011, 06:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    As am I

Stefan

sp. Palangkaraya comes from the Sabangau peat swamp, not sure how close that is to the uberis/burdigala locations though. The price will go down with better availability. They’re definitely a new species and I strongly suspect they sit inbetween uberis/burdigala and tussyae.
    I’ll try with a seperate spawning tank; that should work. I’m indeed getting a headache of them ha ha! But that’s fishkeeping; it’s not always easy, and that’s a good thing. Makes it exciting and interesting.

Yeah; their head shape (miniopinna/persephone) isn’t interesting (plasticity probably) and pelvic fin colour is variable in both species (pers. obs. from observing both species). Still I’d like to have miniopinna just for the sake of it.

What did you find when comparing both uberis and burdigala up close? I’ve only kept the former, but judging from pics they look superficially more or less the same.

As for the livida blotch; my old 2 males (F1): one had a blotch, the other didn’t and never had it. If they go the coccina (Sumatra population at least) way they’ll loose the blotch which then makes way for a green flank. I was, however, referring to not having yet seen a livida female with a blotch. It seems to be more absent than present (I’ve seen a lot of livida up to date). I’d just like to see it, that’s all.

C.Way
    Participant

QUOTE (Stefan @ Apr 16 2011, 12:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    sp. Palangkaraya comes from the Sabangau peat swamp, not sure how close that is to the uberis/burdigala locations though. The price will go down with better availability. They’re definitely a new species and I strongly suspect they sit inbetween uberis/burdigala and tussyae.
    I’ll try with a seperate spawning tank; that should work. I’m indeed getting a headache of them ha ha! But that’s fishkeeping; it’s not always easy, and that’s a good thing. Makes it exciting and interesting.

Yeah; their head shape (miniopinna/persephone) isn’t interesting (plasticity probably) and pelvic fin colour is variable in both species (pers. obs. from observing both species). Still I’d like to have miniopinna just for the sake of it.

What did you find when comparing both uberis and burdigala up close? I’ve only kept the former, but judging from pics they look superficially more or less the same.

As for the livida blotch; my old 2 males (F1): one had a blotch, the other didn’t and never had it. If they go the coccina (Sumatra population at least) way they’ll loose the blotch which then makes way for a green flank. I was, however, referring to not having yet seen a livida female with a blotch. It seems to be more absent than present (I’ve seen a lot of livida up to date). I’d just like to see it, that’s all.

Haha, true, the challenge of fish keeping, the rewards keeps the whole world silence(from complains XD)

Same here, keen on getting both persephone and miniopinna, can only hope that those who had it doesn’t mix them together and sell as B. Persephone

Cann’t recall much of the difference between B. Burdigala and B. Uberis since I last compared them bout one and a half year ago, too long to recall that

I will try to ask a keepr who had both Livida “Tanjong Malim” and “Sepang” to get some photos of his F1/F2, they were randomly having the spot…B. Coccina too could have the blotch, not too long ago when I still kept B. Coccina, there are few pieces with spot while the green flank overshadow the spot when they flare

Stefan

I think the majority of people who get their hands on those species (pers/min) will know enough to keep them seperated and not to mix them. I truly feel, from my personal observations (I saw miniopinna in 2006), that when mixing the two, there’s no way to tell them apart.

It would be great if you could get some pics from friend and upload them! I don’t think there’s any different between the TM and Sepang specimens, though – not from what I’ve seen. Maybe it could even be the two populations can mix when the areas are flooded? I don’t have the geography in my head right now, though.

Here are some pics I find nice:

Holotype

Paratype or non-type

Without a spot

Without a spot but very colourful (never seen them like that)

My old F1 male from Tanjung Malim, shortly after arrival, before his fins began to grow. He looked way better after a while!!

Stefan

I’ve read that livida is still going strong in the IGL in Germany as well; excellent!! That does me good. I’ll try to flood the UK then, and northern Europe, and…?

C.Way
    Participant

QUOTE (Stefan @ Apr 16 2011, 03:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I think the majority of people who get their hands on those species (pers/min) will know enough to keep them seperated and not to mix them. I truly feel, from my personal observations (I saw miniopinna in 2006), that when mixing the two, there’s no way to tell them apart.

It would be great if you could get some pics from friend and upload them! I don’t think there’s any different between the TM and Sepang specimens, though – not from what I’ve seen. Maybe it could even be the two populations can mix when the areas are flooded? I don’t have the geography in my head right now, though.

Here are some pics I find nice:

http://www.elacuarista.com/atlas/images/Betta_livida.gif

Holotype

http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss294/f…2009/livida.jpg

Paratype or non-type

://www.biddulph.ndo.co.uk/web_pics/ABettaLivida.jpg

Without a spot

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f329/jmur3/Dscn4146.jpg

Without a spot but very colourful (never seen them like that)

http://www.vergari.info/foto/pesci/Betta_l…VanDerVoort.jpg

My old F1 male from Tanjung Malim, shortly after arrival, before his fins began to grow. He looked way better after a while!!

Both location were quite far apart, it’s more than 100KM apart, Tanjong Malim is the north and Sepang is located south of the state, from hear say is that Tanjong Malim B. Livida got flushed down through river to Sepang, it’s still a myth, I have saw juvinile of both variety, cann’t tell them apart, but those who had their hand on both told me that Sepang one was much prettier than the Tanjong Malim one, there’s the “Coccina Effect”(the irid flank)

Stefan

My Tanjung Malim (A) male, the 2nd one, had an iridescent flank

Stefan

Wah the smaller, thinner female gave the other one hell this past night; torn fins, scales missing, hit it in the eyes and what not. Never seen a female do that (it really is a female, no doubt about that).

C.Way
    Participant

QUOTE (Stefan @ Apr 16 2011, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Wah the smaller, thinner female gave the other one hell this past night; torn fins, scales missing, hit it in the eyes and what not. Never seen a female do that (it really is a female, no doubt about that).

this happened to my B. Coccina and B. Rutilan before, smaller size female whack the hell out of the males…this is usual when you introduce a new one into a tank with one in it( new fish into a tank with one established in it), but no idea what could explain your case and to the 2 sp I kept before too

Stefan

Yeah ha ha; she was sitting there, looking like ‘What the heck happened to me?!’ I’m still convinced it’s a female, not a male. And I never had females of a red species fight that ‘badly’ (it’s not too serious though) – not even 2 pairs of rutilans. Both livida were introduced in the tank that same afternoon.

hachge
    Participant

I’m back from the IGL meeting on the border with B.Miniopina.There is still quite a lot in Germany,and they are different from my wild B.persephone.But I can’t see the red fins they had on my pairs 15 years ago.I have to let them settle and rest

Stefan

QUOTE (hachge @ Apr 17 2011, 04:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I’m back from the IGL meeting on the border with B.Miniopina.There is still quite a lot in Germany,and they are different from my wild B.persephone.But I can’t see the red fins they had on my pairs 15 years ago.I have to let them settle and rest

I am so very pleased to hear they’re still about! I had no idea. The pelvic fin colour is not in any way a diagnostic thus unimportant. Please, do tell how they are different from your wild persephone; I’m eager to hear
    http://www.israquarium.co.il

http://betta.ketviet.com

I’ve posted this earlier but in light of your new aquisiations I thought to post it here again; their natural habitat: http://illumbomb.blogspot.com/2010/04/bett…al-habitat.html

It would be interesting to find out which leave species are in this habitat:

http://illumbomb.blogspot.com

hachge
    Participant

I have 1 trio sold as Rutilans in a shop in Paris.I took them because they were different that the normal one.They look like those in pic n°4 the blush one Stefan but are darker and dark green on the flanks.The male also has a stripe on the back from snout to the dorsal fin a yellowish one from time to time.My water is very black so I have problems to take a pic .Next week I will give a try

Stefan

Probably rutilans ‘green’ that’s been around for a couple of years and has been in the hobby as of late, being recently imported and all.

hachge
    Participant

Yes they look like the green Rutilans in the Aqualog,nice fish but I prefer the red one

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 95 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.