LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Betta Macrostoma Have Spawned

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Betta Macrostoma Have Spawned

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Any updates Keith?

Haji Badaruddin
    Participant

No worries Keith ….. some of these male macs took about 8 to 10 times before they can really hold the eggs till hatching. /biggrin.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:D” border=”0″ alt=”biggrin.gif” />

miranda
    Participant

hey i m new here and i am from Belgium…. i have had 2 pairs of macrostoma.. ut unfortunally my first male jumped in a special part that runs to the biofilter.. so i found him dead… second had a dissease… and dead too now i have orderd another male because i have 2 female… but my first male was healthy and had eggs in his mouth when he jumped out so its a pitty thing…

second i have 2 pair betta albimarginata .. one pair spawned 5 times but exact after 4 days he eats them… is that normal?? whats your experience with it??

Now this week (maybe wednesday or thursday) i will recieve 3 pair betta channoides too from Germany

Matt
    Keymaster

Hi Miranda. It took my channoides a few attempts before a male held the eggs for the full term. It sounds like you know what you´re doing so if you´re patient he should brood successfully at some point.

keith565
    Participant

i keep my brooding channoides in the main tank, and with plenty of cover they don’t touch their fry. i then remove the fry to a grow out tank once they are a week or so old. i’ve had great success doing this and passed on many fry to other breeders.
    as for my albis, still waiting for my first breed but they were very young when i got them in novembers, so it should be soon, i hope.

ah, the macrostoma. everyone i have spoken to has the same problems with males eating the eggs.
    i do know alan brown (from the betta brownorium name) has great success with them. however, he does monitor his water parameters much more than the normal betta breeder right down to the conductivity. he also uses acid (can’t remember which one) to alter the Ph.
    here was their reply to my questions about caring for macrostoma.

quote ”*** Our tapwater is aerated for a day and then adjusted to pH 5 point 5 for each water change. As food is added to the tank the water’s acidity increases and slowly becomes more acid. Water changes are fortnightly to correct the pH.

*** Allan prefers conductivity to be as low as possible … but conductivity level does not seem critical. His B. macrostoma are accustomed to between 150 and 250 microsiemans. This level also, increases as fish are fed and release waste.

*** Water temperature is 24 degrees Celsius.

As you probably already know, it is essential to carefully place a cover on a Betta tank. Bettas can jump through the tiniest of gaps around cover glasses, particularly if they are startled. Allan keeps a ‘pygmy’ 15 watt light switched on ’24 x 7′ in his fish room. In the absence of daylight this avoids startling changes from light to dark. The low wattage bulb is a dim ‘pygmy’ type of bulb and not a modern type of 15 watt bright, energy saving bulb. ” unquote

Matt
    Keymaster

I´m in the middle of writing the macrostoma profile and I´m reading conflicting information regarding the type of water they need. Now the acidity issue isn´t in question, but some folk say it needs peat/leaf litter in order to simulate blackwater while others say not. I´ve seen some pics of the Malaysian locality and the water looks quite clear but is definitely a little brown in colour.

Can you macrostoma keepers tell me what kind of water you´re using and how it´s being treated before added to the tank? Also do you know anything about it´s habitats? I know it´s been collected from pools by waterfalls, is it also found in rainforest streams and pools or is the waterfall a key factor? Does this species require a current in its tank?

Thanks in advance! /sad.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:(” border=”0″ alt=”sad.gif” />

Pps – Mick, I´m doing Puntius next hahaha!

mickthefish
    Participant

yup Alan Brown got his breeders from BAS all 8 pairs of them but i was told he lost the first lot that he bought.
    iv’e watched a vid of them spawning it’s brilliant, in the vid the female picked the eggs up then spat them in the males mouth.
    Alan did a talk at our fish club not so long ago where he’s gone to borno to collect wild caughts but never saw a one, but he did get some other betta’s to bring home.
    i think he asked permission to collect them in Brunei but it was not granted.
    it’s great that youv’e had them spawn the bonus is when you get the fry, which i hope is not to far away.

mick

keith565
    Participant

well, i’ve spoken to both Alan and Colin and both tell me they like clear water with good movement. this has worked for me since i got mine last year. i use rain water with some oak leaves but keep the water almost crystal clear.
    my macros came from BAS and Alan. hope that helps.

Matt
    Keymaster

It does indeed, cheers Keith!

Matt
    Keymaster

Question for Haji or any other knowledgeable sort. There are two official localities listed for macrostoma in Sarawak. One is Marudi which makes sense as this is a border town right on the bit of the Brunei border that corresponds to the Brunei localities of the fish. The other is Niah…site of the famous caves. This makes no sense to me as macrostoma is supposed to be restricted to that area around the Malay/Brunei border and Niah is over 100km from there. Can anyone shed any light?

Edit: sorry to everyone else….geek at work!

Haji Badaruddin
    Participant

In my opinion,the only known locality for the macs are Brunei and Sarawak ie Marudi.However they are also caught from the other parts of Sarawak.Yes Niah is another part of Sarawak.Infact most of the landscape is limestone.And the river from Marudi ie Baram river are in no way connected to the Batu Niah river.Marudi is located further up whereas Batu Niah is on the Bintulu side which is nearer to the coast.For comparison,just like the Betta taeniata;they are located from Serian,but they are also found in Sri Aman.In Serian they are best found in waterfall areas.They share the same habitat with the neogastromyzon.In Sri Aman they are also found in small streams by the roadside.The story is the same.That is why taeniata is very difficult to ship,they require cool and good water condition.The only difference is that the taeniata comes from pH6.4 – 6.8 water whereas the macs require pH5.5.

I have a friend who caught macs from tea colored water in small streams with white substrate.Based on their Marudi habitat,they come from waterfall areas with currents.They like to hang out in the quieter part of the streams among the leaf litters and grasses.

Matt
    Keymaster

Haji, that’s superb info thanks!

Haji Badaruddin
    Participant

Honestly Matt ….. i believe they can be found at other places as well.I was informed that after the logging business,now the govt is focusing on plantation.Guess what …… most of the areas are now developed for oil palm plantation.The increase in the prices of commodities worldwide are driving everyone bonkers!!!

I believe by next year,we might have to go further into the jungle to catch any of the wilds.

Matt
    Keymaster

Depressing isn’t it Haji? /sad.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:(” border=”0″ alt=”sad.gif” /> Do you know what the current situation with the other most endangered Bettas like miniopinna and persephone is? Are they still hanging on?

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.