LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Betta pallifina

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Betta pallifina

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Colin 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

wayne_r

QUOTE (Colin @ Feb 9 2011, 09:14 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi Torben, no problem – just as soon as we get into the better weather

Matt
    Keymaster

A picture would help but it sounds like stress patterning. Never kept B. pallifina but is 22°C warm enough?

Haji Badaruddin
    Participant

it may take them a while to adapt to their new setup … having soft aged water may helps speed up the acclimatisation process.

Colin
    Participant

Yeah what haji said… I often see this dark blotching on newly aquired Bettas but it goes with time. I have been blaming pH change.

My pallifina were kept and bred about 24C

wayne_r

QUOTE (Haji Badaruddin @ Feb 11 2011, 01:03 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    it may take them a while to adapt to their new setup … having soft aged water may helps speed up the acclimatisation process.

The water I had them in was relatively cool before … and the water is very soft 70 – 80% RO. and I had mixed the water from the tank they came – 50% water change.

I think it might be a stress thing, they have still got a really good appetite prior to the pic eaten some chopped earth worm…

wayne_r

QUOTE (Matt @ Feb 10 2011, 07:54 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    A picture would help but it sounds like stress patterning. Never kept B. pallifina but is 22°C warm enough?

Attached files

Stefan

Looks fine but keep it at 24C and not above. And add some plants and other decorations; no one likes an empty home /wink.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”;)” border=”0″ alt=”wink.gif” />

wayne_r

QUOTE (Stefan @ Feb 11 2011, 06:54 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Looks fine but keep it at 24C and not above. And add some plants and other decorations; no one likes an empty home /wink.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”;)” border=”0″ alt=”wink.gif” />

Hi Stefan
    Thanks for the advice, I know what you mean about the feed, but I had just given the pair some chopped earthworm, and I think the female gorged the lot… If I give them high protein fatty foods I will only feed them once a day.
    The other pair that I didn’t move look like different fish… very long and slender looking in comparison.

Stefan

Ah I see; sorry – my mistake

wayne_r

QUOTE (Stefan @ Feb 12 2011, 06:05 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Ah I see; sorry – my mistake /thumbs_up.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:thumbsup:” border=”0″ alt=”thumbs_up.gif” /> very professional looking. I’m a little jealous. In fact there’s a lot of really good pics throughout the forum it surprised me.

But any advice for breeding the fish is more than welcome, I have had both pairs breed at least once, but not carry the eggs more than 1 day… I know there still relatively young. I think they came from you via Colin???

Colin
    Participant

kind of – I got fry from Stefan which I grew up and bred then you got fry from them…

It took me many attempts to get them to hold full term and I dont think there was any one particular trick, just one day he figured it out and held them. I did find they were more likely to breed between 6.5 and 7.5 pH – plenty hiding places too as I did not see the male much if at all during the incubation

wayne_r

QUOTE (Colin @ Feb 12 2011, 03:27 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    kind of – I got fry from Stefan which I grew up and bred then you got fry from them…

It took me many attempts to get them to hold full term and I dont think there was any one particular trick, just one day he figured it out and held them. I did find they were more likely to breed between 6.5 and 7.5 pH – plenty hiding places too as I did not see the male much if at all during the incubation

Ok, I have it closer to 6 pH…
    It’s due a larger than normal water change,
    I’ll raise it slowly to 6.5 pH…
    Thanks Colin

wayne_r

QUOTE (Stefan @ Feb 12 2011, 06:05 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Ah I see; sorry – my mistake /rolleyes.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:rolleyes:” border=”0″ alt=”rolleyes.gif” />
    Both pairs have been breeding at the same time under different conditions… I’m not purposely being cruel, its the constant changes of temp, we’ve been having its affecting the temp of the room and tanks.
    1st to breed were at a more acidic 6.5pH RO water 26 degrees C
    others are neutral pH again RO water, 23 degrees C
    now both males are holding eggs.
    these are the pallifina young that colin bred…
    are they the same species (listed as Betta sp. “pallifina” Tarakan (bought as ‘yellow pallifina’)) as the pics on your other forum
    ps I want that one – Betta sp. “antuta” Bulungan how nice is this fish

Stefan

Cool huh, them sleeping together! Never seen that before.

wayne_r

QUOTE (Stefan @ Feb 17 2011, 01:14 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Cool huh, them sleeping together! Never seen that before.

It is cool if not a bid odd as well… could it be one of those species that breed for life (only a speculation), if there forming a bond like channa’s

When I had all four in the same tank they would fight a lot male against male and F against F, as soon as I separated them they became really calm

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.