LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Blue Jack Dempsey

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Blue Jack Dempsey

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  dunc 10 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

dunc
    Keymaster

Well, I’ve had these guys for… a good while now. They just don’t seem to be growing!

A while back I had a guy e-mail through the JD profile on the website, asking if anyone knew anything about blue JDs. I told him I personally have 5 of them (my dad killed one when I was on holday

Mark Duffill
    Participant

I think it could well be genetic Dunc, they are either been mass produced for shops which comes with its own complications or a lot of shops are buying in tank bred stock but the problem is a lot of these tank bred fish are produced from fish bought at the same time so there is a good chance of inbreeding.

I saw some in a shop on Saturday that were little over an inch but if you had seen them in a photo with nothing for size reference you would have sworn they were 6″+, they just looked like old fish in miniature

dunc
    Keymaster

Well, in fairness, the smaller fish I have still look like juveniles – they’re certainly not “fully formed” as it were. The biggest fish is certainly starting to look like an adult but all of them have had colour changes since I bought them too.

Odd, but interesting.

Matt
    Keymaster

Could indeed be a sign of genetic weakness but just to be sure what are you feeding them mate and how often are you doing your water changes? I know these don’t grow as big as your regular JD but surely 3″ is a bit small no?

dunc
    Keymaster

I honestly thought I’d stated how much I’d fed them, but when I’ve looked back, I somehow managed to leave it out…

Bigbadbaz
    Participant

I have been having problems with small fish, I have 3 angels, two from the same batch, one has grown roughly 4 times the size of the other from the same batch. I have removed the small one to another tank at work to see if it get any bigger.

dunc
    Keymaster

It’s really odd. Might start doing more frequent water changes but every time I’ve measured the nitrates in the past month they’ve been minimal..

Author
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.