LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Bluedave's Tanks

Home Forums My Aquarium Bluedave's Tanks

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author

mickthefish
    Participant

superb looking tanks mate.

mick

Bluedave
    Participant

Cheers Matt and Mick,

Matt, only just fitted the new light last saturday so too early too tell if theres a massive difference but the plants are growing well. I only changed from T5’s to MV because the Ech. tennellus was struggling (well and I wanted to experiment with MV as the Dutch and Germans use them all the time, but nobody over here seems to).

Water parameters are –

NH4 – 0
    NO2 – 0
    NO3 – approximately 20 this week but generally 10 ish (left the water change a couple of weeks longer than usual as i couldn’t be arsed while waiting for the new light fitting!),
    GH – 5
    KH – 5
    pH 6.7
    Temp – 28 oC

Eyrie
    Participant

Great looking tanks <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Got a problem with me clown loaches at the min, uprooting everything especially the glosso that I planted when the new light fitting arrived. Seriously considering getting rid of them – only problem is i’ve had ’em since babies and they lived through a fish tank catastrophe – i love ’em too much!

In my experience clowns and plants don’t mix well. I’m left with just java fern in their tank, although I will admit to having done little for the plants other than adding some fertiliser. The clowns prefer low lighting and my kh is too low for me to want to risk CO2.

Mind you, given that they’ll outgrow your 190L it’s not that difficult a decision for you.

Bluedave
Participant

I’ve had the clowns in planted tanks for ages – they are now upto about 4 inches though and starting to be a pain! Only with smaller foreground plants though, larger plants aint a prob.

I’d agree that Clowns prefer low lighting – lots of plants and some bogwood bridges give them the low ligh they need even in a high light system.

Whats your KH? Could you not raise it slightly if it’s that low, i’ve injected pH with KH of 3 before in tanks – have a pH controller though to ensure no crashes.

ulster exile

Wow! Your tanks look amazing! So healthy and green, but that crayfish looks like a vicious b*gg*r

Bluedave
Participant

Cheers UE,

I am quite proud of the little 12 litre jobby.

ulster exile

and rightly so!

Eyrie
Participant

QUOTE (Bluedave @ Jul 4 2008, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whats your KH? Could you not raise it slightly if it’s that low, i’ve injected pH with KH of 3 before in tanks – have a pH controller though to ensure no crashes.

I use bicarb to keep it between 2 and 3, which gives me a pH of 6.6 to 6.8. Hadn’t thought of a pH controller, but it would mean adding levels of complication that this technophobe can’t handle!

Bluedave
Participant

lol, they aren’t that complicated!

Bluedave
Participant

Could you not raise your KH to 5-6 and then use the CO2 to keep the pH around 6.7?

Eyrie
Participant

Too much hassle. I like the look of a luxuriously planted tank, but find it much easier to manage with low maintenance tanks.

Given the clowns’ propensity for vandalism, it would be a non-starter in the 400L. May be an idea down the line though in the 240L, if I ever decide how to fix the aquascaping.

Bluedave
Participant

How many clowns you got in the 400 litre Eyrie?

You could have a luxuriously planted tank with the clowns, you just have to be careful what plants you choose. Rossette plants with decent root systems are diffcult to dig up along with crinums, java fern and anubias tied to rocks/wood (can get some big broad leaved anubias). Stem plants would generally be a no no, unless you buy them rooted to give them a chance.

geordie John
Participant

Hi BlueDave,
You’ve got a lovely planted tank ,I’m off fish at pressent but would like a well planted feature tank like yours with a shoal of may be tiger barbs and Corys. in …not to distract from the plants of course LoL
All the best,
G.John

Eyrie
Participant

I’ve got five clowns in there, and have only java ferns for planting. Can’t have crinums or anubias as it’s intended to be a Sumatran set up /blush.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:blush:” border=”0″ alt=”blush.gif” />

Bluedave
Participant

QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jul 5 2008, 10:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Apologies – this is meant to be a thread about your tanks so I’ll shut up now
Author
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.