LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Books

Home Forums My Aquarium Books

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Eyrie 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

ender2811
    Participant

Hello ladies and gents,

I’m looking for a list of books that would be a must read for someone getting into serious

Senor Bastardo
    Participant

Here´s a couple:

Die Cichlidens des Westlichen Afrikas by Anton Lamboj,

Aquarien Atlas 1-6 by Dr. Rüdiger Riehl and Hans Baensch,

I believe both are available in English if you don´t read german.

Matt
    Keymaster

Are you interested in any specific group of fishes?

Bluedave
    Participant

Baensch Atlases 1-4 are avaialble in English and the photo index 1-5. Don’t think 5 and 6 are avaialble in English yet (or though I haven’t looked for a while). The Marine Atlases are also avaialbe in English as well as a Dwarf Cichlid one.

Will set you back a few quid though!

For plants I’d suggest “Aquarium Plants” by Kristel Kasselmann. Again, not cheap though.

You know your taking your hobby too seriously when you spend more than a couple of hundred pounds on books!

Dick Mills does a good “Beginners book” that covers a lot of stuff – not too pricey.

ender2811
    Participant

Thanks gents.

Will check these out. You can keep hem coming if something else comes to mind.

@matt Cories, Tetras???

Eyrie
    Participant

I’d certainly say Baensch volume 1 is a must-have, but the only other one I’ve got is the photo index. Most of the common corydoras and tetras are covered.

I like “Tropical Fishlopaedia” by Burgess and Bailey for fish care, although it doesn’t cover species.

Dave – I had a Mills book when I started and it wasn’t up to much. Take it this is a recent issue?

Graham Ramsay
    Participant

Baensch volume 1
    Identifying Corydoradinae Catfish (Fuller & Evers)
    Back to Nature Guide to L-Catfishes (Seidel)
    Dwarf Cichlids (Linke)

Bluedave
    Participant

QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jun 21 2011, 08:19 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Dave – I had a Mills book when I started and it wasn’t up to much. Take it this is a recent issue?

I bought it about 10 years ago! I’m at work at the minute but i’ll dig up the title when I get home.

It had a chapter on basic equipment, a chapter on set ups, one on water quality, half the book was fish profiles and then a little section on diseases.

Nowt special, but I thought it covered everything a begginer would need to think about – enough to at least give them an idea of what to reasearch more of.

Eyrie
    Participant

Based on that it could be “You and Your Aquarium” which I bought about 2000 when I started keeping fish. It barely mentions the nitrogen cycle and completely omits the importance of cycling a tank. “Set it up, chuck ’em in” is the philosophy.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.