LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Channa Bleheri Pics

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Channa Bleheri Pics

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • Author

Mike
    Participant

QUOTE (mickthefish @ Oct 16 2008, 07:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    very nice fish Matt, i went to the same shop today, they have another species in the discription is as follows, size, largest approx 3 inches SL, going from the head backwards 2 bars on the gill plate, dorsal finely spotted along the lateral and below irregular bars 5 in number, anal fin was held against body so ? caudal finely barred.
    oh forgot pectorals had 2 bars.eyes dark poss deep red
    any idea what the sp are lads, trade name barred channa.

mick

Cracking fish and great pics Mick. I love the markings on it.

mickthefish
    Participant

cheers Mike.

mick

Matt
    Keymaster

Mick that sounds like the one we had in as sp. “Kerala Five-stripe”. If it is it’s a undescribed mouthbrooding species from the Himalayas and needs cooler water. Grows to around 8″. Quite a plain-looking fish but some of ours developed beautiful white banding on the dorsal and anal fins which I subsequently found out is a sign of a male.

mickthefish
    Participant

if your memories of the fish are pretty good mate, i’m going past the shop today so i’ll take a couple of pics for you to look at.
    i’m going up to pier to see Neil as he’s had a mini shipment from Kamphol, so i want to see what on offer.

mick
    ps, he did tell me about on fish Belontia hasselti he said they top out at around the 8 inch mark, which is full size for them i think

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey

Slight differences in sizes for sexes of Belontia hasselti (Java or Honeycombed combtail). Although still using inches I suppose I had better be ‘numerical correct’ in our modern times so males reach 19.5cm and females 18cm body length.

Males have more slender bodies in comparison to females. The unpaired fins are larger in males with the posterior ends longer and more pointed. Are told apart from fellow genus members by a honeycomb pattern of spots that extends over the caudal, caudal peduncle and the soft parts of the dorsal and anal fin.

I housed a pair of these fish, for a local fishkeeper, for about 3 weeks. From my experiences with these fish females are ‘little devils’ for ‘nipping’ at the fins of their mate. I rember going to see them, once re-housed, and their carer was worried as they had taken on a different, much lighter in the female, body colour than he was used to seeing. When I explained that this was a prelude to spawning our friend became very excited. Did he try and spawn them? No ‘swapped’ them as a true pair, with a shop on the outskirts of Leeds, for several small Rift Valley cichlids and 2 small Pacu’s.

Guess who re-housed the Pacu’s?

Regards David

Daspricey
    Participant

Beautiful snakehead Mick!!!!!!

They had some bleheri in my lfs not long ago, healthy and around 4/5″, only £15, so tempting!!!

QUOTE (mickthefish @ Oct 17 2008, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    i’m going up to pier to see Neil as he’s had a mini shipment from Kamphol, so i want to see what on offer.

Did you notice the “new Burmese snakeskin rainbow danio”? What were they like?

Cheers

David

mickthefish
    Participant

no David are you sure it said danio mate, it sounds more like a guppy name.
    the only danio i can think of from burma is one that come into BAS about 5 years ago called panther danio.
    but he did have some very nice N ornatus and the rosy loach, only small but in great health plus a first for me albino kuhli’s.

mick

Matt
    Keymaster

Did you manage to snap the Channa mate? Snakeskin danio could be the panther danio couldn’t it? Just thinking about the patterning on the flanks…

mickthefish
    Participant

yup i took a couple they ain’t brilliant though, the fish would’nt come out of hiding.
    anyhow you might recognize it.

mick

Matt
    Keymaster

Yep it’s sp. “Kerala Five-stripe” alright. No mistaking those 5 slanted body bars and on the bottom pic you can see the white banding on the dorsal. How much they selling for Mick?

mickthefish
    Participant

he charges stupid prices, he wants £15 each, looking at them there’s 1 male 2 females.
    i’ve already asked him for a deal on the trio.

mick
    now heres proper channas, and big. only joking.

Channa pulchra, these had to be 9-10 inch fish.

Matt
    Keymaster

Mmmm puuuulchrraaaaa *drools*… I want these and ornatapinnis so much but zero chance while I’m stuck in this fishkeeping backwater!

Daspricey
    Participant

Nice photos Mick! Beautiful channa! Those Pulchra are huge!

Did you get any new fish, Mick?

David

Yup its Burmese snakeskin rainbow danios. It’s on the pier aquatics forum, loads of new imports! Good point, TWO3. Got some of these beauties. The rainbow part made me think aff albolineatus

mickthefish
    Participant

i certainly did mate, nemachilus ornatus, and some rosy loaches plus 4 young histrionica.
    lovely clean looking fish mate.

mick

Mark Duffill
    Participant

QUOTE (mickthefish @ Oct 17 2008, 11:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    i certainly did mate, nemachilus ornatus, and some rosy loaches plus 4 young histrionica.
    lovely clean looking fish mate.

mick

I am very jealous that you have the nemachilus ornatus Mick, they are one I have been wanting for a while now, any chance of a couple of pics

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.