LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Community Question

Home Forums My Aquarium Community Question

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Malti
    Participant

well for xmas I got a new community setup

Malti
    Participant

ps how come there are no entries for koi or goldfish in the kb?

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Malti

Yes it is possible to keep Goldfish with freshwater tropicals – in Belgium I have seen stunning aquarium set-ups containing Goldfish and fully grown Rainbowfish.

However it is not an easy thing to attempt. Goldfish naturally prefer cooler waters thus can suffer swimbladder problems etc. when kept at high temperatures.

I love Platys but fear that they would have a ‘field day’ in your aquarium ‘nipping’ at the fins of the Oranda.

So for peace of mind a seperate coldwater set-up for your Oranda is advised.

Regards David

Matt
    Keymaster

QUOTE (Malti @ Dec 25 2009, 07:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    ps how come there are no entries for koi or goldfish in the kb?

Just not got around to doing them yet Karlos. I guess they’ll be added at some point.

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE (David Marshall @ Dec 26 2009, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hey Malti

Yes it is possible to keep Goldfish with freshwater tropicals – in Belgium I have seen stunning aquarium set-ups containing Goldfish and fully grown Rainbowfish.

However it is not an easy thing to attempt. Goldfish naturally prefer cooler waters thus can suffer swimbladder problems etc. when kept at high temperatures.

I love Platys but fear that they would have a ‘field day’ in your aquarium ‘nipping’ at the fins of the Oranda.

So for peace of mind a seperate coldwater set-up for your Oranda is advised.

Regards David

thx for the reply

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Dec 26 2009, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Just not got around to doing them yet Karlos. I guess they’ll be added at some point. /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” /> will you just put the normal forms or the various fancies?

JackGillett
    Participant

hey malti, i have experienced high temps in my goldy tank, we had a drought ages ago an the temp went up to 27 degrees c. the goldfish seemed very happy, apart from my common. he was at the bottom sulking, so i did daily water changes, around 5% of freezing water to bring it down. in my exp. fancys are much more resistant to high temps but be very careful when introducing them, try and bring the temp up at around 2 degrees a week. this will give time for the fish to adapt. normal tropical fish are easily kept at around 25 degrees c. fancys if acclimatised will be happy at this temp.

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE (JackGillett @ Dec 29 2009, 02:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    hey malti, i have experienced high temps in my goldy tank, we had a drought ages ago an the temp went up to 27 degrees c. the goldfish seemed very happy, apart from my common. he was at the bottom sulking, so i did daily water changes, around 5% of freezing water to bring it down. in my exp. fancys are much more resistant to high temps but be very careful when introducing them, try and bring the temp up at around 2 degrees a week. this will give time for the fish to adapt. normal tropical fish are easily kept at around 25 degrees c. fancys if acclimatised will be happy at this temp. /thumbs_up.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:thumbsup:” border=”0″ alt=”thumbs_up.gif” /> The current temp is 24 C maybe 24.5 C and all are doing great, might try introducing the lionhead oranda later on

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Malti

Hope all is going well with the aquarium.

Interesting reply from Jack.

Regards David

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE (David Marshall @ Dec 29 2009, 11:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hey Malti

Hope all is going well with the aquarium.

Interesting reply from Jack.

Regards David

Hey David,

yep guppies are preggers, and platies are at it aswell /blink.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:blink:” border=”0″ alt=”blink.gif” />

Matt
    Keymaster

QUOTE (Malti @ Dec 26 2009, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    thats ok

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Dec 30 2009, 02:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I guess I´ll undertake a mountain of reading and do it ´properly´ but don´t expect them anytime soon mate. Just about finished the Danio profiles now and was going to move onto Devario but had enough of danionins for now so onto loaches we go!

if there’s anyway I can help with the info, just post a pm…

Matt
    Keymaster

Cheers Karlos, will do.

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Malti

Did you take any photographs of feral Rosy barbs in Malta?

Regards David

Malti
    Participant

they are not really feral – just kept in a reservoir. we only have a feral killifish aka buzaqq and now the gambusia

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.