LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Copella nattereri spawning info.

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Copella nattereri spawning info.

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  TorbenL 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

ste12000

Just a quick update on these fish, im continuing to work with the C.nattereri, ive had several spawns since the first one. There are no accurate, detailed reports on the net of people breeding this species so ill continue here in order to supply some data.

The pairs spawn on a leaf and it seems they choose a sheltered position with a leaf above if possible, ive yet to actually see them spawning so have not witnessed the proceedure in person. I have rescued several clutches of eggs and can say that they hatch after aprox 36 hours and are free swimming several days later, like most copella the fry are minute and require the smallest infusorians for upto 14 days, after this they are able to except small newly hatched baby brineshrimp and then proceed to grow normally as long as water quality is kept high with daily waterchanges.

Egg clutch size is variable, ive counted 37 in one spawn and exactly 223 in a second spawn. This will be effected by size of females and their diet.

The fish are maintained in a colony in a small 20x8x8 bare tank, there are a few too many fish in this tank 4 males and 6 females, i will thin these out shortly. The decor is simply 3 broad leaved silk plants as spawning substrates.

Male in breeding pattern.

Male guarding clutch of eggs.

Clutch of 223 eggs.

Smaller clutch of exactly 70 eggs.

Matt
    Keymaster

Good stuff Ste, please do keep this updated.

ste12000

QUOTE (Matt @ Nov 9 2011, 03:41 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Good stuff Ste, please do keep this updated.

Colin
    Participant

looks and sounds good

ste12000

QUOTE (Colin @ Nov 9 2011, 04:00 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    looks and sounds good

coelacanth
    Participant

Looks like our Copella cf. nigrofasciata, breed like nattereri, Grade I PITA, nasty to each other, tiny fry and so slow to grow.

TorbenL

I had nattereri some years back. They placed the eggs on upside of an amazon swordplant just under the watersurface. They hatched after a couple of days and like the C. arnoldi the fry is tiny and slow growing.

Attached files

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.