LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Ctenops nobilis

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Ctenops nobilis

• This topic has 0 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 9 years ago by Matt.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Hmmm, females lack rows of dark spots on the body and have a more ‘marbled’ patterning than males according to stuff I’ve been reading today but no idea if that’s correct.

Colin
    Participant

what have you found about max size?

Matt
    Keymaster

The answer is best described as ‘various’.

Colin
    Participant

yeah thats basically what i have found too – the ones i have are about 5cm SV and 6-7TL

Matt
    Keymaster

Apparently these are “4-5 inches” total length. They look it, too…

Attached files

nuchal man
    Participant

The breeders we worked with at Shedd Aquarium were 3.5-4 inches in length.

Colin
    Participant

nice fish – did the photo supplier mention sexes?

Matt
    Keymaster

Yes, female top, male bottom but not sure they were owned by the guy who took the photos.

Sam, is that TL?

Edit: others’ opinion on those pics now suggests they are both males.

nuchal man
    Participant

Yes, 3.5-4 inches TL. They grow relatively fast. By the end of a year the babies were 2.5-3 inches TL. I’ve since moved from Chicago, but my friend at the aquarium says they only have one left as it murdered it’s brothers and sisters. These fish are mad jumpers as well and I think some where likely lost due to being chased and jumping ship. They really are relentless on each other.

Matt
    Keymaster

Good grief, and are both sexes equally aggressive? How are yours with each other Colin?

nuchal man
    Participant

Both sexes were aggressive in my experience. One more thing to note is the size of the spawn. Although the buccal cavity looked only slightly distended the one spawn we got at Shedd had 62 fry! This surprised me as they were a fairly good size.

Matt
    Keymaster

Thanks Sam. As far as I can gather that spawn at Shedd may represent the only time fry of this species have been raised to adult size in captivity unless anyone knows different?

nuchal man
    Participant

I know for a fact American fish breeder Mike Hellwig has bred them. I also believe he raised the fry successfully to adult size.

Matt
    Keymaster

Do you know him Sam? I think he might have joined this forum quite recently as I remember validating an email address which corresponds to that name.

beta
    Participant

Matt: Vyas used to have 1 huge Ctenops. I think its the one in this link: http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/communit…pic&t=13000

My Ctenops fry didn’t make it to adulthood. I have couple more adults brooding right now though.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.