LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Cuba 2012

Home Forums Field Trips & Conservation Cuba 2012

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)
  • Author

coelacanth
    Participant

Cuban birds occasionally drift into my thoughts…

The picture is further confused by the fact that there is a white form of the Great Blue Heron found in Cuba, this has a thicker bill than the Great White Egret which would fit better. However it is a larger bird than our own Grey Heron, so I think that one can be ruled out.

I still think Cattle Egret based on proportions. Was it hunting in the grass when seen?

Matt
    Keymaster

Yes it was, the clearing pictured is actually a small camp site in the middle of a patch of jungle, but not too far from agricultural land on one side. Definitely smaller than a heron.

Matt
    Keymaster

Next morning we roused ourselves early. Plenty of bird life about over breakfast but didn’t manage to get good photos of most species. Here we have a red-legged thrush, Turdus plumbeus, and a silhouetted Greater Antillean Grackle, Quiscalus niger.

002-1.JPG003-1.JPG 

Matt
    Keymaster

We decided to return to the spot where we’d seen cichlids the day before and managed to collect a few fishes a little way upstream. First got some Girardinus microdactylus adults, then G. creolus.

004-2.JPG005-2.JPG006-1.JPG

007-2.JPG008-3.JPG009-3.JPG010-2.JPG011-3.JPG

Matt
    Keymaster

Random flora.

012.JPG013.JPG014.JPG015.JPG

oaken
    Participant

Awesome Girardinus! So you still didn’t catch any cichlids then?

Matt
    Keymaster

No, though not for lack of trying. Left my mini-seine net at the hotel in the excitement to leave.:x

Our next stop was a small jungle stream where we found what I think might be Girardinus cubensis. Can anyone confirm???

There was also a species of shrimp (also needs id) and I’m positive I spotted something goby-like scooting along the substrate at one point but never saw it again. A very nice place, this. No other people around plus free Girardinus foot spa!

017.JPG018.JPG019.JPG020.JPG021.JPG022.JPG023.JPG024.JPG025.JPG026.JPG027.JPG028.JPG029.JPG030.JPG

031-1.JPG

Plaamoo
    Participant

That’s not a good color on you Matt. 🙂

Thanks for the great pics!

oaken
    Participant

I think Matt is just experimenting with new ways to catch fish 😀

Matt
    Keymaster

Uhuh. You two clearly require fashion mentoring. ‘Sexual pink’ is all the rage over in Spain.:D

Here’s a video taken at that last spot. If I’d known at this point I wouldn’t be bringing any Cubanichthys home (more on that failure shortly) I’d have definitely brought back some of these Girardinus. 😥 Beautiful colours on them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7NQ1VkwlFI&list=UUhFm4Vng0lokjPQsPl3O2bw&index=1&feature=plcp

coelacanth
    Participant

Check out all the shrimp! Cool as you-know-what. Any signs of where the livebearer fry hang out?

Matt
    Keymaster

Yeah there were fry in the slower-moving parts of that shallow section you can see in the 7th image down. Adults and shrimp confined to the deeper pools. We spoke to a local chap a bit further down the road and he told us that at night you can catch foot-sized gambas in the river which they sometimes eat!

Plaamoo
    Participant

@oaken said:
    I think Matt is just experimenting with new ways to catch fish 😀

Pink IS the #1 color for salmon & steelhead here in the PNW! But I digress. (wine again)

‘Sexual pink’ is all the rage over in Spain.Laugh

Details please. Pics if you’ve got ’em.

OK…. back to the fish. That camera does well Matt. Crystal clear water! nice fish & shrimp:smile:

Matt
    Keymaster

Pics can be arranged for a suitable amount of cash.:D Surprised you say that about the cam; it’s the same crappy Pentax I’ve been using for a few years. Small lens so only works ok in bright light and clear water.

Here are the final few pics from our day-and-a-half in Pinar del Río. Only explored a fraction of the area and could easily have spent a week or more there, but pleased we found some fishes in the limited time available. The last spot was at lower altitude and had Gambusia punctata again, the same cichlids we’d seen before (do the pics help with id?), Girardinus microdactylus (or metallicus??), and Limia vittata. Females of the latter were huge!

032.JPG033.JPG

034.JPG034a.JPG035.JPG036.JPG037.JPG038.JPG039.JPG040.JPG041.JPG

coelacanth
    Participant

Those cichlids are definitely neotropical, so tetracanthus is the most obvious, even though they perhaps don’t quite look right.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.