LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Culture Media For Microworm

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Culture Media For Microworm

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author

coelacanth
    Participant

For the ‘Merkan members
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ready_Brek

Has anyone ever tried Bemax as a culture medium?

mzapater
    Participant

By the way: oats = “avena” in spanish, just in case you have to ask for them.

You should get “harina de avena” at diet shops and places like that (Naturhouse, Santiveri or similar).

Manuel…

Matt
    Keymaster

Hey Manuel cheers mate but I’d already been out and bought the dried potatoes before I saw your post so the culture is all set up now.

David Marshall
    Participant

Yes just the standard oval or bone looking dog biscuits, that come in a variety of colours, you can purchase loose at various pet shops. The fish don’t mind the yellow, orange whatever colour microworms that start crawling up the sides of the margarine tub. Microworms are just microworms to fish.

Regards David

Matt
    Keymaster

Señor Mariachi, what’s Bemax?

coelacanth
    Participant

Bemax – trade name for a dried and stabilised wheat germ preparation.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheat_germ

Matt
    Keymaster

Ok I found and have been using oats but now the temperature is really rising the cultures are developing fungus within 24 hours and I’ve been having trouble with fruit flies too. Has anyone ever tried white bread? How to keep out the flies when I’m only making pin-sized ventilation holes?

Going back to David’s dog biscuits (wink, wink) the Spanish seem to use them quite a bit on a medium of soil. This absolutely reeks let me tell you so no way I can do that here.

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey

What’s all this wink wink about?

I have used white bread soaked with water. DON’T DO IT. Not good for the culture. Same is true of mashed potato and potato peelings.

I have never used dog biscuits on soil but when placed onto the oat base of a microworm culture, that has started to run, they keep the odour down brilliantly and feed the worms.

I have only had fungus problems on one culture and this was due to not adding enough water. I am told that fungus can be a problem if you have used milk and not water to make the base paste.

Regards David

Matt
    Keymaster

Only water used David I made the same mistake years ago and it was the stink rather than the fungus that did for me. Rotten milk and yeast…yuk. Temperature here is 30°+ most days now so I think the additional heat and humidity in the container is giving the fungal spores time to establish quicker than the worms can propagate. I’m going to try adding some dog biscuits to an existing one to see if it makes a difference by giving them a boost. Any other ideas welcome!

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Matt

Only a thought but when not used as per manufacturers notes could an ingredient of the crushed oat product you use be part of the cause of the rapid fungus?

Regards David

Matt
    Keymaster

Don’t think so David. From the packet:

Ingredients – Oats.

/dry.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”<_<" border="0" alt="dry.gif" />

I’ve also tried one with bread just to see what happens and added some dog biscuits to an existing old culture. On the plus side the adult fish had a nice meal of fruit fly maggots this morning.

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Matt

Very adventurous.

Regards David

Matt
    Keymaster

Cheers Indiana Marshall, and thanks for all the help in this thread too.

coelacanth
    Participant

Matt, did you use hot water to make up the oat mix? I’ve always found that doing this then getting the lid on quick helps to prevent fungal spores taking hold. Let it cool then add your “starter spoonful” from another culture.
    Mashed potato (again, mixed using boiling water) does seem to provide a longer-lasting, better-smelling culture though.

Matt
    Keymaster

I did nuke the mixture in the microwave until hot but now I realise the mistake I made was leaving the lid off while it was cooling.

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.