LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Cycling My Aquarium

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Cycling My Aquarium

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 87 total)
  • Author

Sofia

Good morning,

I have tested the water in the bucket again and to my surprise it’s still 6.5!
    I will do a few more tests during the daybut it looks good /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” /> I am glad to find that that is doing something now, because I was wondering whether it would do anything at all

Sofia

Hello,

I tested the bucket water again and it is clearly increasing in pH again /sad.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:(” border=”0″ alt=”sad.gif” />

Matt
    Keymaster

No no, we’re not done yet

Sofia

QUOTE(Matt @ Mar 12 2008, 06:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    No no, we’re not done yet /sad.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:(” border=”0″ alt=”sad.gif” />

EDIT: I found this website that states how proper pH works http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plants/mont…2/msg00419.html

Sofia

Sadly I have nothing new.

Apart from the ammonia having gone up and now being between 0.25 and0.50 ppm

Matt
    Keymaster

Ok we-ell I’d be wary about using that product as a long term solution personally. Anyone have any experience with this stuff? What did the pH on the bucket settle at Sofia?

keith565
    Participant

just been reading trough the posts. i totally agree with Matt and Dunc, that lfs info is terrible and could lead to many fish dying un-necessary.
    proper ph6.5 will drop the ph as it states, but will not hold it there as it contains no buffer.
    i use rain water to keep my soft water species, never had a problem, i keep betta macrostoma in it. it’s ideal so long as it comes from a clean roof, preferably an old one. but test it before you use it. or find someone who will sell RO water.

Sofia

Hello Keith.

I didn’t keep the water in the bucket, but the last reading was 7.5 and that took about 36 hours.

How do you mean rainwater? Just collect it in a bucket and then use it in the tank? After testing it.

Sadly the lfs is the only one close by, but I will see whether I can find one a bit further afield. Don’t want my fish (future) to die.

I was so shocked at the info given, that I didn’t ask about RO… /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

dunc
    Keymaster

You could look in to purchasing a Reverse Osmosis unit if you think that fishkeeping will be a long-term hobby (I hope so! http://www.ro-man.com/shop/product_info.ph…/products_id/30

Can’t go wrong with RO Man products, had one myself and it was spot on.

£66. Fairly straightforward to install. Membranes should be replaced every 6 months or so at a cost of around £40.

Probably “premature” advice, I don’t think I’d contemplate purchasing a RO system until I had been keeping fish for at least a year, but I thought I’d throw the link up anyway so you can have a look.

keith565
    Participant

QUOTE(Sofia @ Mar 14 2008, 09:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hello Keith.

I didn’t keep the water in the bucket, but the last reading was 7.5 and that took about 36 hours.

How do you mean rainwater? Just collect it in a bucket and then use it in the tank? After testing it.

Sadly the lfs is the only one close by, but I will see whether I can find one a bit further afield. Don’t want my fish (future) to die.

I was so shocked at the info given, that I didn’t ask about RO… /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

i collect mine in a rain barrel using a rain diverter from my roof. i use an in line filter (simply filter floss) to catch any bits that might fall into the barrel. i then warm it to the right temp, check the pH and add it to the tanks. my rain water is usually about pH 5 and very very soft, good enough to keep some of the softer species of betta and also appistogrammas.
    an RO system is a good idea to. i just don’t have the room for a one big enough for me.

Sofia

Hi everyone. Sorry for the late response.

I bought 10 gallons of RO water today and will do a 100% water change. As I’ll be away next week, the tank should have enough time to cycle. The RO water is 6.5pH according to the shopkeeper.

We are looking into buying an RO unit. We could use the water for our drinking water too.

We found a fish store a bit further afield and it’s amazing. It’s incomparable with Pets at Home.
    It’s called Aquacadabra. Will get the fish there too

Matt
    Keymaster

Hey Sofia, good news! I recognise the name of that shop, maybe it’s been featured in the press or something. Didn’t realise you were using Pets At Home before; all the ones I’ve been in have been terrible with poorly trained, unknowledgeable staff. I usually end up complaining in there

Sofia

Yeah /cool.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”B)” border=”0″ alt=”cool.gif” /> look healthier. I mean the colours are clearer and nicer.

I asked about specific fish and was advised that they have a few fish on order, such as the Rams and that I’d need to come back. I really liked that idea of not having the fish unless customers actually want them.

So all in all I was very pleased and for a mile more (but sadly not accessible to me on public transport) we are happy to put up with driving round.

I haven’t yet changed the water, but will do soon.

Thank you all for this much help.

i am so thrilled that I will be able to have the cichlids

Matt
    Keymaster

Sofia

I won’t, but I guess I will have a lot of questions along the way

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 87 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.