LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Cycling My Aquarium

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Cycling My Aquarium

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 87 total)
  • Author

keith565
    Participant

great that you got things sorted. just keep an eye on the ph to make sure there is nothing to push it back up.
    the shop you mentioned has been in the press a few times and by all accounts is very good.
    best of luck with the set up when you get back.

Sofia

Hello again …
    I took a pH reading this morning at around 3am before going to Scotland.
    The pH reading now was 7.2! Could it be that the bogwood inside the tank and the gravel could have kept enough old water to kick it up by that much?

The gravel I have is glazed, so shouldn’t be leaking anything into the water.

I am really unsure about what to do /sad.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:(” border=”0″ alt=”sad.gif” />

Matt
    Keymaster

Hi Sofia I doubt that the bogwood had anything to do with it but the gravel may have. What brand is it? Did you add any tapwater or remineralising product to the ro water or did you just use plain ro?

What are you up to in Scotland? Holiday? Lovely part of the world…I’m off to Spain for a few days tomorrow. Got my mask and flippers packed already yipee!!!

Sofia

I used the pure ro water, adding absolutely nothing.

The gravel is Pettex Roman Gravel. I feel really hopeless now, but I guess if need be, I could change the gravel, even though this would be a possibility.

I am having holiday here to recover from my project. It is really lovely, but Spain sounds very nice too

dunc
    Keymaster

Scotland is gorgeous <3

Sofia I’m gonna be a pain and change the topic title – quite an informative thread so wanna make it as easily accessible for people as possible!

Sofia

QUOTE(dunc @ Mar 19 2008, 11:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Scotland is gorgeous <3

Sofia I’m gonna be a pain and change the topic title – quite an informative thread so wanna make it as easily accessible for people as possible!

No problem, Dunc. Glad I was of help

Matt
    Keymaster

Hi Sofia….are you still in the land of men-who-wear-skirts? If not tell us your current pH reading!

Sofia

QUOTE(Matt @ Mar 26 2008, 05:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi Sofia….are you still in the land of men-who-wear-skirts? If not tell us your current pH reading! /sad.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:(” border=”0″ alt=”sad.gif” />

pH: 7.4
    kH: 3
    gH: Still not working on the RO water
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 0

Am I doing something wrong?

And do I need to change the gravel, as the pH is a lot higher than it was before introducing it to the tank.

Am I ever going to have fish? :'(

EDIT: The pH hasn’t changed throughout last week. Is it possible that the fact my bogwood was soaked and the gravel held old water could have done the change? The gravel is coated and should not leak anything into the water.
    We might do a 1/3 water change and see if it drops back down. What do you think?

Matt
    Keymaster

Hi Sofia. No I don’t think that any of that stuff would have affected the pH. Ro water tends not to hold it’s neutral value but to settle slightly higher or lower, as yours has done. What is encouraging is that your kH has dropped significantly. I have another suggestion, which I’ll pm to you later tonight. It basically involves phosphoric acid though.

Sofia

Right. That’s great!

Not sure what that acid is, but I guess I’ll find out.

Do you think my tank is not cycled and hasn’t even started yet? There is lots of dead plant matter that I left in to kick start it again, but no reaction on anything.
    Not sure if the pH currently is to high for Rams, but I assume so

Matt
    Keymaster

Hmm, you should be seeing some ammonia readings by now, but these things can take a little time. Maybe try removing the plant matter and throwing in a prawn or similar. Your pH is still a little high for rams in my opinion. I’ll send you the pm now; the product I’m suggesting you invest in is supposed to be used when growing plants hydroponically but is excellent for lowering the pH in aquaria. One bottle will last you ages, too.

Sofia

Thanks for that. Just ordered up a bottle and will see where it takes me

Matt
    Keymaster

It’ll take you to a magic land where pixies live if you drink it so be careful dear.

Sofia

Hello everyone. As I was away last week I must have somehow missed my Ammonia and Nitrite peaks?!

Reading this morning is:

Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: Somewhere between 5 and 10.

Could i have missed it? And is it safe to add fish? What would a healhy Nitrate value be?

Thanks

Matt
    Keymaster

Hmm. I doubt that both of those would have peaked and dropped in a week with only small amounts of decaying plant matter to feed the bacteria. But then again, it is possible I suppose. It’s difficult to descibe nitrate levels as “healthy” or “unhealthy” but you basically want to keep it below 25ppm if possible.

Fish can and will live in much higher concentrations than this though, especially if the levels increase over time. However any new fish added to a tank containing high levels of nitrates can often show an adverse reaction to what is essentially polluted water. Nitrate is a bit less toxic than ammonia or nitrite, but that’s not to say it shouldn’t be monitored just as carefully.

I reckon you can try a few small fish; just keep a close eye on water conditions over the next few weeks and be prepared to perform small (10-20%) water changes more often than is normally recommended. What fish do you have in mind Sofia?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 87 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.