LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Cyprinid Id, Shark?

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Cyprinid Id, Shark?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)
  • Author

sharkdude

I’ve emailed the company for more info on these since they are the only company to carry them.

sharkdude

http://th.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%B9%84%E0%…:C.jullieni.jpg

Does this look like my fish in question? This comes up when you search for a Cirrhinus caudimaculatus but the pic is labled as a cirrhinus jullieni.

sharkdude

Okay so I bought one today. I put it in my qt for observations. I have noticed a black outline on his dorsal fin and very small barbels one on each side of his mouth.

retro_gk
    Participant

Really hard to make a definitive ID without a good photograph of the mouth. Could be a Labeo, Cirrhinus, Tylognathus or Henicorhynchus. My money is on Cirrhinus, fwiw.

sharkdude

QUOTE (retro_gk @ Aug 22 2011, 08:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Really hard to make a definitive ID without a good photograph of the mouth. Could be a Labeo, Cirrhinus, Tylognathus or Henicorhynchus. My money is on Cirrhinus, fwiw.

I’m with the cirrhinus idea also. I’m going to get some more pics when I have the time.

sharkdude

Okay here are some more pics. Let me know if you need anything else. Unfortunately I am unable to get a pic of the barbels but I assure you they are there.

I did also notice that he likes to munch on algae a lot.

Attached files

sharkdude

Okay so. After looking at the pic of H.Lobatus in high res and being able to look up close and actually get some good pics. I am reasonably convinced that Andy was spot on the first try.

I’ve been doing most of the research on my Droid so things wern’t quite the same as looking at a HD 19” monitor. Sorry if I upset you by challenging your ID.

That bering said. What is the proper care for these guys i.e. are they schooling or can they be solo, feeding habits, aggression levels etc…

andy rushworth
    Participant

Hi Sharkdude , great pics !

sharkdude

QUOTE (andy rushworth @ Aug 23 2011, 05:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi Sharkdude , great pics !

Thanks! Do you know the basic care needs of this fish?

andy rushworth
    Participant

Nice clean water ,neutral ph , varied diet , try to include green stuff ! how many did you get, and did you get some of the Cirrhinus too ?

sharkdude

QUOTE (andy rushworth @ Aug 24 2011, 11:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Nice clean water ,neutral ph , varied diet , try to include green stuff ! how many did you get, and did you get some of the Cirrhinus too ?

No I didn’t get the cirrhinus.
    I only got one but they have I think three more. The problem is I’m hoping their not schooling or shoaling as they will never be able to get them again. In fact its a fluke they even have then in the first place. Also according to fishbase they get about 6”, how accurate is that?

andy rushworth
    Participant

Personally I prefer to keep Cyprinids in small groups , though I suppose its down to space available really

sharkdude

QUOTE (andy rushworth @ Aug 25 2011, 11:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Personally I prefer to keep Cyprinids in small groups , though I suppose its down to space available really

andy rushworth
    Participant

Hi Sharkdude , I’d get some more now if I were you ,because fish like these are only ever imported by mistake ,i .e. you may not see them for sale for a long long time ? personally if I had access to them I’d get a small group ,but failing that 3 would be ok ,plus you would see more interesting behaviour !

sharkdude

QUOTE (andy rushworth @ Aug 26 2011, 07:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi Sharkdude , I’d get some more now if I were you ,because fish like these are only ever imported by mistake ,i .e. you may not see them for sale for a long long time ? personally if I had access to them I’d get a small group ,but failing that 3 would be ok ,plus you would see more interesting behaviour !

Okay yeah, I’ll pick up some more next time I get paid!

Thanks!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.