LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

D. auropurpureus

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes D. auropurpureus

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Rüdiger
    Participant

Good day all,

a few more notes on behaviour of D. auropurpureus.

All 8 specimens had calmed down a lot by yesterday afternoon already, only getting a bit jumpy when I moved too fast in front of the tank. This morning, they were absolutely cool, calm and collected. Even when I opened the tank cover and was busy from above the tank with feeding, thre was no sign of panic or even undue nervousness.

They have made great buddies with D. choprae and putting those two together looks like the right recipe to settle them in quickly. They had a voracious appetite this morning, going for large amounts of mixed live food as well as some granules afterwards.

They did show a very curious behaviour though, which I have observed with D. pathirana too, when I introduced those the weekend before last. They seem to have a …….. well, let’s call it “confinement memory”. Both species were kept in 50 cm tanks and that was exactly the distance they would swim in the 160 cm tank before they’d turn around and swim 50 cm back! Both species were going on like this for two days, until I intervened and very gently herded them through the whole tank. I have never seen this kind of behaviour in any other species?

And finally, fot those interested, a few more pics.

Devario-auropurpureus_0001.jpgDevario-auropurpureus_0002.jpgDevario-auropurpureus_0003.jpgDevario-auropurpureus_0004.jpgDevario-auropurpureus_0005.jpgDevario-auropurpureus_0006.jpgDevario-auropurpureus_0007.jpgDevario-auropurpureus_0008.jpgDevario-auropurpureus_0009.jpgDevario-auropurpureus_0010.jpg

Regards

R.

Rüdiger
    Participant

Learnimg the hard way!! Yell

Due to very high temperatures at the moment, I had to additionally airate my “Asian River” as to keep oxygene levels bearable. As none of the species in the tank had ever shown any tendency to jump, instead of cutting a small recess for the air pipe into the pane of the cover, I just left a gap.

IMG_3035.jpg

Anyway, 5mm are way too narrow to get through or that’s what I thought. Here’s the result of my stupidity:

IMG_3029.jpg

One D. auropurpureus had gone on an unauthorised HALO jump! Cry

I guess you all know the feeling when you want to strangle yourself!!?? Embarassed

But I’m glad to say it was only the one and the rest is doing extremely well.

IMG_001.jpgIMG_002.jpg

IMG_003.jpg

P.S. I fond the guy almost 3 m away from the tank!!! 😕

Regards

R.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.