LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Dropsy Treatment

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Dropsy Treatment

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Fishwife 9 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Hollso
    Participant

Hey guys. One of my dwarf gourami’s is definitely showing signs of dropsy /sad.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:(” border=”0″ alt=”sad.gif” />

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Hollso

You did the right thing in putting the gourami into isolation and adding the stated dosage of medication to your community aquarium – although dropsy does not often pass on from one fish to another, exceptions are labyrinth fish or female Kribensis, or strike at a pace as seen with whitespot or velvet.

Dropsy is very difficult to cure and both luck and strength of the ‘fish in trouble’ plays a part. I would stick with the medication.

Regards David

Hollso
    Participant

Once I’ve given the fish her treatment, it says I should only repeat the treatment 7 days later. Should I keep treating until the dropsy visibly clears up (ie swelling and pineconing goes down).
    I have faith in her; she’s still quite active and not showing much stress despite being bloated up.
    If she doesn’t make it, luckily my lfs has reduced the price of their dwarf gouramis, if I need to replace her for her partner.

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey

With dropsy it is difficult to predict what will happen. I would continue treatment as per the medictaion bottle instructions.

Keep checking on the condition of the male Dwarf in your community.

Regards David

tdcaquatic

I would keep fingers crossed dude…but in experience your fish probably has 1% chance of coming out the other side…

Of course fish shops or treatment bottles wont tell you this….its all about business.

if we ever get a fish with serious dropsy we do the right thing once its apparent that all hope is gone.

Its life unfortunately….

Lets hope this gourami is one of the 1%.

cheers

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Hollso

I was trying to be diplomatic in my approach.

Regards David

Matt
    Keymaster

Dropsy is usually symptomatic of internal organ problems as far as I know and I’ve never seen a fish recover from a serious bout. It seems to be most common in mass-produced stuff like platies and neons (personal observation). dry.gif

Fishwife
    Participant

One of my old Guppies got it a few years back and I was advised to euthanise the fish as there was no cure, I was told it was a symptom and not a disease in itself and like Matt says usually an internal problem.

Fortunately I’ve not had it in a fish since, but I’ve heard a lot of people who say their Betta has it, and I’ve found it’s usually a case of the fish being kept in poor or stressful conditions in a community tank or the LFS or in transportation. I’ve heard people say that they’ve cured their Betta, but we’ve had no absolute proof.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.