LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Ebjds – No Growth?

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Ebjds – No Growth?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  dunc 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

dunc
    Keymaster

Well, I’ve pretty much come to the conclusion that these guys just aren’t growing.

I’ve heard in a few places that there’s trouble with their growth. I’ve tried them on a high protein diet, tried them on 3 feeds/day of different frozen food, tried them on african cichlid pellets and various “green” frozen foods.. but they just don’t want to get bigger. It’s not like they’re not eating – they munch literally everything.

It’s odd because for the first ~3 months or so of keeping them they absolutely shot up from the little nippers I bought them as.

There seems to be little conclusive information about them.. or at least, I can’t find anyone. Anybody able to help?

Matt
    Keymaster

I’m pretty sure they’re naturally-stunted dood. How big are they now? Pics may help too.

dunc
    Keymaster

Will get some pics this evening. The biggest is maybe 5″ TL, the rest 1 to 2 inches smaller.

dunc
    Keymaster

Images attached.

Excuse the mess and the one with fish with gaping jaws – he just practically swallowed a whole mussel.. /sad.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:(” border=”0″ alt=”sad.gif” /> I presume he smashed it off a rock as that’s the tank’s only decoration.

Attached files

Mark Duffill
    Participant

So what the truth about these then, are they hybrids or natural occuring variants

Reva
    Participant

I hate to ask the “ignorant but long time hobbiest” question here, but ,hey, why break my record? /blush.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:blush:” border=”0″ alt=”blush.gif” />

I wonder if they will mature , but be small? then you could market them as Mini Me ebJd’s!
    Very stunningly beautiful fish!

Matt
    Keymaster

Mark I think the general consensus is they’re a natural genetic mutation but are possibly now being mass-produced for the trade. See previous discussion here.

dunc
    Keymaster

Well, I do water changes on a weekly basis – usually 33% or so. Every WC involves removing every single rock in the tank and cleaning it individually then mixing up the gravel to remove the algae from that then netting out as much of the free-floating algae as I can.

I had your Geophagus sp. in the conservatory too, generally on the same diet as the EBJDs and they grew incredibly quick. Similar algae problems with those.

Author
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.