LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Electric Blue Rams

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Electric Blue Rams

This topic contains 20 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  retro_gk 9 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Opinions? I’m not saying…

Attached files

francistrus
    Participant

I think the classic “ram” is prettier than these new electrics (same opinion for the jack dempsey and the “blue dempsey”).

ndc
    Participant

any idea how they have got them that colour?

Bluedave
    Participant

I don’t like them and agree with Francistrus – Classic Rams much nicer

David Marshall
    Participant

Looks like a dyed or colour fed job? The electric blue Asian Parrot cichlids can arrive with colour as bright as this but, after about 4 months, this starts to fade and you are, 2 months or so down the line, left with a plain, but beautiful, orange fish.

Regards David

mickthefish
    Participant

i’ve gotta agree with David here, either dyed or colourfed.

mick

keith565
    Participant

yup, have to agree with you all, the normal are better looking and these do looked dyed, be interesting to find out if they are or not?

Matt
    Keymaster

QUOTE (francistrus @ May 26 2009, 06:35 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I think the classic “ram” is prettier than these new electrics (same opinion for the jack dempsey and the “blue dempsey”). this thread. Can’t say the same for these rams obviously, the text accompanying the image just says they are a “new sport”. Hmmm….

francistrus
    Participant

Matt, you´re right:The blue Dempsey´s origin

retro_gk
    Participant

They look like they’re infected with the bacterium that causes guanine deposition in the scales of characins.

francistrus
    Participant

I’ve red that the parents of the first blue dempseys were hybrids between Paratheraps synspilus, Parachromis managuensis and Rocio octofasciata… ??

Reva
    Participant

QUOTE (David Marshall @ May 27 2009, 02:06 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Looks like a dyed or colour fed job? The electric blue Asian Parrot cichlids can arrive with colour as bright as this but, after about 4 months, this starts to fade and you are, 2 months or so down the line, left with a plain, but beautiful, orange fish.

Regards David

Reva
    Participant

Hey Matt, I think the natural are prettier. In fact, what’s the buzz with having electric blue? So many types of fish have been bred for this (gouramis for instance), and I dont “get it”. I love the patterns on the regular rams, and ditto for dwarf gouramis. You lose all that beautiful spawning flash too. My kribs just turned all kinds of blue and purple and flashed each other , after the partial water change today. Wouldnt trade that for plain blue!

Matt
    Keymaster

QUOTE (retro_gk @ May 29 2009, 03:32 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    They look like they’re infected with the bacterium that causes guanine deposition in the scales of characins.

Woah, interesting suggestion. Is that kind of thing happening in the trade already? /wacko.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:wacko:” border=”0″ alt=”wacko.gif” />

Ps- any opinions expressed in this post are entirely related to Cruzcampo. (hic).

retro_gk
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Jun 4 2009, 07:44 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Is that kind of thing happening in the trade already?

I came across something last year that suggests there is active research in this phenomenon with an eye on commercial applications.

While the fish does not appear dyed, the colour appears too even/bright to be the result of selective breeding.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.