LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Etheostoma: Is Anyone Keeping Them?

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Etheostoma: Is Anyone Keeping Them?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • Author

Stefan

No space at the moment…oh…

Matt
    Keymaster

There’s another equally cool genus in the same family, namely Percina:

Thomas
    Participant

Thanks Matt… /wink.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”;)” border=”0″ alt=”wink.gif” />

Plaamoo
    Participant

QUOTE (Stefan @ Apr 22 2011, 12:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Plaamoo; did you ever go collecting such fishes yourself?

There’s nothing like that where I’m living Stefan. I surely would if there was. As a kid I caught every fish available in the area, lots of sunfish but nothing like this that I remember. I think I’ve read that these fish are pretty plain looking most of the time. The colors appear when breeding only. Mike???

Stefan

That’s too bad Plaamoo. So would this be a fish you’d for sale in US shops? As for the colours; I believe to have read that they colour up nicely when they are in the right tank with lush algae etc.? I did watch a video of a plain coloured Etheostoma caeruleum, though. However not all fish stay well-coloured all the time.

Plaamoo
    Participant

I’ve never seen them, or heard of them in a shop Stefan. Only on aquabid a few times. Maybe nearer thier range in the south central states. Each state has it’s own laws but i’d guess there are restictions on taking & keeping wild fish in most places.

I don’t have time right now but will have a look here later.
    http://www.nanfa.org/

Matt
    Keymaster

Great site, that.

Stefan

Thanks Plaamoo, also for the link. I was looking at that one for a bit yesterday; indeed a great site.

mikev
    Participant

The males are attractive at all times, but of course breeding colors are the best. Most of the photos are of breeding males that you don’t see all that often.

My understanding is that all darter species (30+) are from the Eastern half of the US.

In addition to Aquabid, there are a few people who catch and sell them… you can find them by looking around NANFA.

The laws are different from state to state, and most are crazy. For example, in NY, it is legal to keep any species that does not natively occur in NY, but it is generally not legal to keep local species. However, this is superseded by another rule that it is generally legal to keep local fish for the purpose of eating it… so it seems that if you keep a local fish with the intend of eating it after it dies, it is probably legal. I have no idea if it is legal to keep a fish with the intend of feeding it to a cat after the fish passes away, but this seems plausible…

(No, I’m not making this up…..)

Stefan

For us Europeans and for those from the UK it’d be easier to get them through local channels; less chance of fish loss, cheaper, less hassle?

That’s some interesting rules you’ve laid out for us Mikev…

Colin
    Participant

Stefan

QUOTE (Colin @ Apr 26 2011, 10:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good find but I’d refrain; they’re labeled as “cannot be sexed” while it should be relative easy to sex them, so you might end up with 8 males or females? The chances of that are slim but the uncertainty seems to be there?

mikev
    Participant

QUOTE (Stefan @ Apr 26 2011, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Good find but I’d refrain; they’re labeled as “cannot be sexed” while it should be relative easy to sex them, so you might end up with 8 males or females? The chances of that are slim but the uncertainty seems to be there?

probably, juveniles…. which is what you want, they are not very long-living. But the price ?!
    (also, they are soft-water species, not sure how good is pH of 7.8 stated in the ad.)

Stefan

QUOTE (mikev @ Apr 26 2011, 11:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    probably, juveniles…. which is what you want, they are not very long-living. But the price ?!
    (also, they are soft-water species, not sure how good is pH of 7.8 stated in the ad.)

Excellent observation! Juvies would make sense, yes – why didn’t I think of that? I believe to have read that they occur in neutral water (depending on the habitat type)? Am I mistaking? Please define ‘not long lived’

Matt
    Keymaster

How much??

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.