LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Etheostoma: Is Anyone Keeping Them?

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Etheostoma: Is Anyone Keeping Them?

Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Author

Plaamoo
    Participant

I have an idea. Buy a digital picture frame and download this…. http://youtu.be/PiWuGv8shqA

mikev
    Participant

Neutral, and soft. The East Coast of the US is very soft, 40-90, further inland it gets a bit harder. I keep mine at 150, this is comfortable for most fish and I’m lazy to tune up water in every tank unless I have to.

They live for 2-3 years, and this is temperature-dependent. No heater, and if you want to breed them, winterize. Perhaps you can keep them outdoors… if your winter temp drops to 8-10C, they will like it.

and if you get them, ask on the NANFA forum, I have little experience comparing to people there.

Stefan

Neutral and soft, that’s a combination I didn’t expect. I know it’s present often in Myanmar, but wasn’t expecting it here.

HDP
    Participant

Hi,

I guess Matt was refering to me since I have (had) E. caeruleum, C. spectabile and C. blennoides. Sorry that I didn’t post something earlier but I was quite busy the last few weeks/month.

Unfortunately all 8 E. spectabile died during the last month for a reason I don’t know. My group of 8 E. blennoides are down to 5. These are back in quarantine now.
    Anyway the 10 E. caeruleum are doing fine. I separated a pair into a 40x25x25 cm³ tank, moderate current, fine/moderate gravel over a 0.5 cm mesh. Temperatur is up to 21°C, water is neutral with 400µS/cm. The food they get is still frozen brine shrimp/blood worms/daphnia since I simply haven’t got the time to get them some fine living food. Until now no real change in color or behavior.

Hopefully I’ll find some time in the near future to set up some decent tanks for them (and my Notropis lutipinnis, N. chrosomus and Phoxinus erythrogaster/eos).

Edit: Forgot to mention where I got them from

Hi all. I’ve kept E. caeruleum, E. olmstedi, E. flabellare, and E. fusiforme, and a few others that I can’t remember the names of.

Many are riffle dwellers and most need a continuous current to survive, even at cold temperatures. They’re a diverse group and have three principal breeding strategies–substrate spawners, cave spawners, and plant spawners.

Most probably need a period of cooling/short days before they’ll spawn. Most, also are temperate species, and probably wouldn’t do too well above the mid-70s (Fahrenheit).

I don’t know if any ethostoma species will take prepared food. The only options are either live foods, or frozen, formerly live, foods dribbled through the filter stream to simulate movement.

They tend to do really well on California blackworms, which I understand most of you on the other side of the Atlantic don’t have access to. (Tubifex or white worms might work.)

There’s a lot of archived information on the various darter species on the NANFA site, http://www.nanfa.org

I hope this is helpful.

Thomas
    Participant

actual available are Etheostoma caeruleum and E. spectabile at http://tropicwater.eu.
    I don’t know if it’s only for germans interesting , but the fishes should come from Aquarium-Glaser, so there could be available in other countrys also.

Good luck to all who tried to get some.

Cheers,
    Thomas

Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.