LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Females…

Home Forums My Aquarium Females…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Reva
    Participant

Seriously..Fish..ack….I mean SERIOUSLY it is hard to acquire certain kinds of female fish around here. We never see female Dwarf Gouramis, female bettas, or female anything that is plain and the male is colorful. I am very happy tonight as my LFS owner ordered me some female Red New Guinea Rainbows. I lost mine in a power outage, and have three big males like the one in my avatar, who are very lonely. I am hoping they are full grown and not 1-2″ fry.
    Do you guys have this same problem abroad? Is it a breeder thing or a marketing thing?

Reva
    Participant

Well, I bought two of the three “female” Red New Guineas. They are the size of a full grown scissor tail rasbora, so will have to grow a while to see if they truely are females. *sigh*

So can you all still purchase female dwarf gouramis and bettas in your LFS’s? It’s a mystery why we never see them. Even the LFS owners cant get requested females of some species in their order.

dunc
    Keymaster

I can’t say I’ve ever noticed a specific lack of females in the species you’ve mentioned. I’ve seen shops selling lone Dwarf Gourami males and having an abundance of females left over as they’re just not as pretty.

Amy bought some “female Bettas” from our local fish shop.. after a while it became clear that two were male, two were female.

I guess one problem is that the fish shops tend to buy in quite young stock for certain fishes.

Matt
    Keymaster

I think it’s definitely a sales-related thing to some extent. I’ve seen shipments of apistos, P. taeniatus, rams, rainbowfish and Sawbwa resplendens with no females. I’m not sure it’s some complex plan to stop us breeding the fish more that the more colourful ones always sell better so it makes better economic sense to just ship those. I hope the two Neils and Jared see this as they’ve all worked in the trade for a lot longer than I did and may have some interesting input.

oaken
    Participant

Female Parosphromenus seem to be rare for some reason, and of course Dario dario females. Funny though, cause I just ordered 15 Dario hysginon and the sex ratio seems pretty good, but when it comes to Dario dario females are VERY rare. At least in Sweden.

Mark Duffill
    Participant

I cant say that I have really noticed to much be fore but I was in a local shop today and they had a tank full of young male new guinea red rainbows, 3 tanks full of male swords (not a female in sight) and the same again with dwarf gourami’s.

I do think that like Matt says it is the colourful fish that catch the eye and sell, to most people they are something nice to look at so the go for the colourful ones over keeping correct ratio’s among groups etc.

Reva
    Participant

So it appears to be both…some females are rare, and with the commonly popular fish, it’s a marketing thing. I hope these two Red New Guineas are females. I lost mine when we had a winter power outage, and have three big males that are lonely

Author
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.