LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

First Aid Help ?

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes First Aid Help ?

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author

thelizzious

Hi, David. I forgot about the green drups completely. I used them this afternoon without any coughing or breathlessness. It might be because I only used five drups, a lot less as in the other tanks. And I think it was a combination of the Exit and the gas the wet wood made. I had it checked and it really was the wood that in a wet state produces some sort of gas. On the other question about the medication I can state that it works. All of my goldies are in tiptop shape again, except Hala, but she is gonna be a real comet one day too, I promise.
    I had a friend over just the other day and after she took a well observing look at the pondies, she told me that it is pretty un-common that a koi, like my metalic-gold ghost koi survives more then six months in such a small tank. In the beginning he lost a lot of scales but he’s doing better by the day and he’s very playfull, I only hope he doesn’t jump out of the tank , from pure enthousiasm one day, because I can’t promise if I would risk my hands in a hands on battle between him and two always lurking cats

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey

Glad things are going well.

Many of our neighbours have cats so I keep all my coldwater fish indoors.

Regards David

thelizzious

Yeah, my sister lost a lot of wonderful and sometimes pretty expensive fish to cats in the neighbourhood and to herons as well. The pondies are the last remains of her pond. It’s so sad. Double sad because we were just getting together again after a family-row and I wanted so much to save her pond, also with the thought in the back of my mind to learn about koi and goldies out doors. But htey will have a re start as soon as spring has arrived and the water is warm enough to minimize the trauma when we set them out. This has been a great learning as well though.
    Thanks so much.

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Lizzie

I remember when a neighbour swore blind that Ducks, which he had seen eating pond plants, had killed all of his fish and left their ‘chewed’ bodies strewn all over the garden. When I suggested that a heron had caused the problem neighbour would not believe me until both of us sighted such a bird raiding a different pond in our street a few days later.

Helping you is a pleasure.

Regards David

thelizzious

A quick update. I have just “cleaned” the guesthouse-windows, meaning the windows of my 80 l. tank aka the pond- tank and just out of fun held a ruler against the glass, just to see how large the pondies have grown during their months at my place. It’s my birthday next wednesday, my sister is coming and I was showing off how big her former pondies were growing. She said the Koi was 4 inches long when she had him, well guess what? He’s 6,5 now! Not bad huh? They all are having growing spurt. Our Hala is almost 5 inches also (including her wonderful tail) and I don’t think she’ll be happy living in a 12 inche tank for very long. Her water is almost the same as the water in the 120 l. tank. Watertests (the last one, so I need new ones) showed tht there is little difference between both tanks. And I am still giving both tanks a small dose of Exit, just to make sure. Hala’s wound are almost gone, there is just one tiny little spot that’s not completely healed, but it is just tiny. She has those lovely pearl-like spots on her body, everywhere, like little shiny pearls.
    I am so glad I did this adventure, it taught me so much!
    PS, David, I added you as a friend, I hope you don’t mind?

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Lizzie

It is nice to to be added as a friend? Please explain.

Regards, your friend, David

thelizzious

QUOTE (David Marshall @ Mar 11 2009, 11:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hey Lizzie

It is nice to to be added as a friend? Please explain.

Regards, your friend, David

I am not sure what this “friends-list” really does, I just noticed the possibility on “my controls” dashboard. Just exploring the possibilities of this board. Maybe it’s just a courtesy-thing.

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Lizzie

Fine

Regards David

thelizzious

Hi, David, My nephew managed to send me some pictures from their pondies, who now live with me. Meet the coldwater-gang.

The one on the right is Hala

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Lizzie

THANKS for posting the photographs.

Regards David

thelizzious

The pondies are about to move from my tank into the pond of their new owners today. And it is high time because a, they grew out of space and b. they became more and more timid. I did everything you mentioned above, David, to ensure the move as good as possible. I am gonna miss them terrible though. I saw the Koi grow from 4 inches into almost 9 inches in more then 6 months in the 80 l. tank. No one would belief me when I told them he would survive, but he did. Excuse me, she did, it turned out she is a female.
    Hala is doing wonderful, she had become a mummy last week. I tried to save some of her eggs, but the fungus came and ate them. There are still some eggs in a small tank, in which I put a few tiny snails to see if they would clean the fungus of the eggs. It has been over a week ago and nothing showed up, so I am afraid the eggs didn’t hatched or the fry is so tiny I can’t see them in the little jungle I provided for them to hide in.
    I really hope the pondies survive their relocation and have a happy life.

thelizzious
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.