LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

First re-scape of my 6 month old 20 gallon long planted tank

Home Forums My Aquarium First re-scape of my 6 month old 20 gallon long planted tank

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

deekyn
    Participant

Greetings all,

I have recently re-scaped my 20 gallon long aquarium. It was my first aquarium and I have learned a lot along the way. Especially about my fiesh behavior. When I started this tank six months ago, I jumped full in with CO2, 20 species of plants, and and several species of fish (cardinal tetras, rummy-noses tetras, pygmy corys, a Siamese algae eater and dwarf chain loaches, nehrite snails, orange rilli and amano shrimp). The tank was doing well but was set up in a way that seemed to contain the tetras in a small area in the center of the tank. The corys and loaches were using more of the tank. I had a design idea in mind but never had fish…

So I re-scaped the tank to give more open flat bottomed sandy areas (soon to have more botanicals like Indian almond leaves etc) that was shaded by frogbit for the tetras, while having plenty of hidey holes for the loaches and corys, and have plenty of plants that were not shaded. I wanted the tank to be 2/3 open and 1/3 plants. I also wanted the plants to get full light while providing shaded areas. All of the fish seemed more active in dimmer lighting. I think this tank really succeeds in all that, and looks cool. Its in the middle of my kitchen island so I wanted it to be pretty from both sides. I am hoping i get a lot of plants to break the surface of the water.

The tank is a UNS 90L  (though I do plant to get a bigger tank at some point. I use a twin star e900 led light, paintball canister CO2 and regulator from GLA, and an OASE biomaster thermo 200 filter.

The new set up looks really good and seems to work really well for the fish. It even looks like two of the loaches are displaying some sort of prebreeding behavior, nuzzling together and making a little cave bigger. I only have three loaches right now because that’s all the local store had and haven’t been able to find any more. Now I’m not sure I should add any more until I know what these two are up to?

went from this:

to this:

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.