LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Gobies

This topic contains 22 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 8 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Mark Duffill
    Participant

I popped into a shop over in Cunbria yesterday and they had a couple of tanks with some gobies in, now I have kept the peacock and knight gobies before and Eleotris and Hemieliotris species but these are new on me.

I have a couple of new tanks in the planning stages and thought that these would be nice additions, can anyone offer some id’s before I pop back over to pick some up on Tuesday

These would have to go into my rivertank for a couple of weeks until their new tanks are ready.

Matt
    Keymaster

Oh dear Lord. *pulls jealous face* First three pics are Rhinogobius species imo (possibly all females). Pic 4 is a Stiphodon female, maybe of the ‘blue moon’ group. 4 (background fish = Tateurndina ocellicauda right?) and 5 no idea. 6 maybe a Lentipes sp. female?

Penrith Aquatics?

Plaamoo
    Participant

What sort of mouth does #4 have Mark? Looks like a stiphodon. Lovely!

Lentipes & sicyopus are a bit fussy to feed in my experience. Unlike stiphodon & sicyopterus. They only take moving, live or frozen type food. No flake or pellets.

Colin
    Participant

I used to find the odd Rhinogobius in tanks of “hong kong plecs” at the importers place. I used to get the guys to keep an eye out for them and and I’d collect them later.

Definitely a genus I want to keep more of in the future, great personality in a tank.

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Cheers Matt, no these were in Maidenhead Carlisle.

Jim – the mouth of #4 is very similar to that of #3

4 (background fish = Tateurndina ocellicauda right?) – Yes Matt and very nice ones too

Matt
    Keymaster

So no. 4 is a red Stiphodon? BUY THEM!!!

afroturf
    Participant

#6 is a Lentipes probably a skinny male either L. armatus or L. multiradiatus.

#4 looks very special possibly Stiphodon surrufus!!! http://www.seriouslyfish.com/forums/index….0&start=120

Buy them all.

Colin
    Participant

Red Stiphodon? Is that? S elegans?

Matt
    Keymaster

Colin S. elegans doesn’t look to have been in the trade. The name has been used incorrectly to refer to Stiphodon from all over the Indo-Pacific but it’s actually restricted to French Polynesia and looks like this.

Attached files

Plaamoo
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Mar 15 2010, 07:28 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    So no. 4 is a red Stiphodon? BUY THEM!!!

Mark Duffill
    Participant

I am gutted /rolleyes.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:rolleyes:” border=”0″ alt=”rolleyes.gif” /> ) so I am now sat at home without any new gobies and seriously hacked off.

I am just hoping that they still have some in when I am back over there in a fortnight or so’s time.

Matt
    Keymaster

Why not ring and reserve?

Mark Duffill
    Participant

I might give them a ring tomorrow, I have been in a few times now and got to know a couple of the lads. They were all only a couple of quid each so well worth it, not including the lentipes I think there were a mixture of around 12 in total of the Stiphodon and Rhinogobius.

Kajsa12
    Participant

Is it a possibility that picture 3 and 4 are S. carisa females?

Matt
    Keymaster

I don’t think so Henri – no dark markings in the dorsal fins.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.