LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Half Beaks

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Ok so the gold colour in some fishes is caused by presence of a parasite that results in excessive deposits of the organic base guanine. Hemigrammus rodwayi is a good example:

This gold colour often fades away in aquaria – I’ve heard that this is due to an absence of an intermediate host for the parasite but don’t take that as gospel unless someone else confirms. These halfbeaks seem similar to me in that the gold colouration is a little ‘patchy’. Could be totally wrong of course!

Attached files

keith565
    Participant

got to say it is very possible. the metallic colour is indeed a bit patchy and seems less intense now i have had them a week.thanks for the info, never knew that.

Jarcave
    Participant

I never knew that either. It would be interesting to see the colouration in a few weeks or months to see if there are any appreciable differences.

Keith, if you ever want to sell on any on fry you produce then by all means give me a shout. I’ve wanted to keep these for a while but on the few occasions that I’ve seen them, a while back too it was, I’ve not been in a position to keep any.

keith565
    Participant

well, the way things are going i won’t have any left in a week. found 4 dead today. no signs of anything. the others are all feeding like pigs. i’m just hoping the rest are OK tomorrow.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.