LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Has My Tank Cycled?

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Has My Tank Cycled?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Eyrie 9 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Hawthorne
    Participant

Getting quite excited!

My 30l biorb has been up and running for 3 weeks now, with three little leopard danios happily swimming around (‘cos I went by the biorb instructions, instead of what seems to be general wisdom to pre-cycle with ammonia).

For the past two days, I’ve had 0 ammonia, 25ppm NO3 and 0ppm NO2.

Does this mean that I can get them a couple more friends?

Eyrie
    Participant

Assuming that in the three weeks you have had readings for both ammonia and nitrIte which were only kept under control by regular water changes until now, then I would say that the tank is cycled.

However you should only increase the stocking gradually to give the bacteria colonies a chance to multiply sufficiently to cope with the waste from the new fish.

A 30L tank with three leopard danios doesn’t have much stocking room left. What fish were you thinking of adding?

Hawthorne
    Participant

Yeehah 🙂

QUOTE (Eyrie @ Apr 9 2010, 07:01 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    A 30L tank with three leopard danios doesn’t have much stocking room left. What fish were you thinking of adding?

Well, I was going to start with another couple of danios as I understand that they like to be in a slightly larger group, and leave those for a couple of weeks.

I’m in two minds what to do then – either 5-6 little tetras or one other fish that is likely to eat fry as the danios seem to have been spawning every other morning for the last two weeks and I don’t want to end up overrun with them!

My kids, however, want a couple of either platys or guppies, so I may have a fight on my hands.

(is it normal for me to be working out where to put a much larger tank already?!)

Bluedave
    Participant

yes, it’s normal – so where you putting that larger tank cause it sounds like you need it already!

I would say 6-8 small fish is the ABSOLUTE max in a tank that big with regular water changes and even that is pushing it – the biorbs aren’t big and don’t have a decent surface area for gaseous exchange.

Get your self a nice rectangular 100 litre tank and the posibilites open up dramatically! lol

Eyrie
    Participant

QUOTE (Bluedave @ Apr 10 2010, 07:34 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Get your self a nice little rectangular 100 litre tank and the posibilites open up dramatically! lol

Fixed it for you

Hawthorne
    Participant

QUOTE (Hawthorne @ Apr 9 2010, 07:35 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    My kids, however, want a couple of either platys or guppies, so I may have a fight on my hands.

Err, I seem to have acquired 3 lemon guppies. I’m a pushover.

@Eyrie and Bluedave thank you 🙂 I think I’ll stay with these 6 in the biorb for the moment, and wait until the inevitable “what do you want for your birthday, dear” in a few months’ time, and go for a (major, if I can manage it!) upgrade then.

Eyrie
    Participant

Given that the BiOrb is now fully stocked, you have a pressing need to get a bigger tank for your birthday

Author
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.