LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Help With Id Please

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Help With Id Please

Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

I’ve sent Bede an email at the end of which I asked him about the tubercules. Hope he replies and thanks Neill for the address.

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Guys

I think if you have another look at the TAG article I was the one who told Bede about the tubercules. My good friend Bede never actually says that he witnessed tubercules but mentions that I told him that this happens with spawning males.

Regards David

mickthefish
    Participant

well Dave, you deserve slap hands. /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” />

best mickey

David Marshall
    Participant

Very good Mick

However, having just checked my TAG e-mails, a SF member, who does not wish to get involved in this discussion, tells me that an information sheet on Loaches on line mentions tubercules on mature males. I have yet to view this but know how much you trust L.o.l. to be correct.

Regards David

David Marshall
    Participant

From Google search ‘tubercules on male Sewellia lineolata’ go to Loaches on line species index and look at Sewellia lineolata by Martin Thoene. If I read correctly M.T. suggests that male S. lineolata have these tubercules as a sign of maturity.

Am going to feed all the hybrid Syno.’s now ha ha ha

mickthefish
    Participant

Dave i had’nt read what martin has seen on his adult male, the fences i knew about from Emma Turner.
    the easiest way to sex them is twofold, the males pectorals start near enough at a 45 degree angle whereas the females slope in a curve towards the caudal fin.
    and the other is the shape of the head the males have a nice smooth round head and the females is an eneven arc.
    the tubercules are that minute that you’d need a macro lens to see them.
    i think the bloke who bred them in the US has had the best number of a brood where in the UK were find a few at a time, not in big nubers.
    btw the guy in the US is Eric Bodrock who’m i met at the catfish convention this year, very nice bloke.

Matt
    Keymaster

Hehe David yeah I checked the article before I sent the email. Just asked Bede if he’d seen any tubercules on the males.

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey lads

It is good that we have a forum site like SF in which we can talk and learn about different fish species. I feel that although Sewellia are reproduced in aquaria we have only touched the surface of our knowledge about them?

Have relaxed today by setting-up a breeding project for a pair of Damasi bushfish and this will be my first attempt at breeding this specie. The male has beautiful blue-black body colours.

Regards David

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE (David Marshall @ Aug 2 2008, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hey lads

It is good that we have a forum site like SF in which we can talk and learn about different fish species. I feel that although Sewellia are reproduced in aquaria we have only touched the surface of our knowledge about them?

Have relaxed today by setting-up a breeding project for a pair of Damasi bushfish and this will be my first attempt at breeding this specie. The male has beautiful blue-black body colours.

Regards David

we need pics

Matt
    Keymaster

David thanks for the kind words about the site. Glad you are enjoying it here. /cool.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”B)” border=”0″ alt=”cool.gif” />

Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.