LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Homaloptera spp.

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Homaloptera spp.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 90 total)
  • Author

The.Dark.One

Thanks guys. Do you reckon they are tweediei then?

Matt
    Keymaster

How many branched pectoral rays has it got BB (Beel`zebub)?

Plaamoo
    Participant

Nonn said smithi Matt(of the fish in my pic), but with only a quick look at the pic.

The.Dark.One

QUOTE (Matt @ May 26 2011, 11:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    How many branched pectoral rays has it got BB (Beel`zebub)?

7 I think. Kottelat gives 3-5 simple and 7-11 branched for tweediei so the branched count fits in but not the simple. Pectoral rays too long for leonardi

Attached files

Matt
    Keymaster

Probable H. smithi then no? Following Kottelat it has 5-6 simple and 10-12 branched pectoral rays. Definitely not H. leonardi imo which should be more like this one.

The.Dark.One

QUOTE (Matt @ May 26 2011, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Probable H. smithi then no? Following Kottelat it has 5-6 simple and 10-12 branched pectoral rays. Definitely not H. leonardi imo which should be more like this one.

Yes, not leonardi, as i said the pectoral fin rays are too long in mine, overlapping the ventral fins.

I must be counting wrong because in my images I count 6 simple and 7 branched?

Plaamoo
    Participant

Here’s one that I have. I count 6 & 11. If you compare two there’s an obvious difference.

Matt
    Keymaster

Hmm, yeah great photos Jim and apologies for the poor counting from moi.

The.Dark.One

QUOTE (Matt @ May 27 2011, 08:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hmm, yeah great photos Jim and apologies for the poor counting from moi.

Plaamoo
    Participant

So you reckon mine is smithi & TDO’s is tweedei?

is distinguished from Homaloptera smithi in that its pelvic and pectoral fins do not overlap.

A quote from LOL, any truth to it?? I don’t have papers.

By the way, my pic was taken in q-tank shortly after buying. They’ve plumped up!

Matt
    Keymaster

I think that’s most likely Jim?

The LOL quote is, as far as I understand things, incorrect. The pectoral fins ‘usually’ overlap the pelvics in all members of the H. wassinkii group.

Plaamoo
    Participant

Thanks Matt!

A pic taken today.

The.Dark.One

According to Rainboth smithi has the pectoral fin extending well beyond ventral fin insertion, whereas in tweediei it just passes over.

According to Kottelat:

smithi – pectoral reaching beyond pelvic fin origin, 37-39 + 2 lateral line scales, pectoral with 5-6 simple and 10-12 branched

tweediei – pectoral reaching pelvic fin origin, 32-36 + 2 l l scales, pectoral with 3-5 simple and 7-11 branched.

Plaamoo
    Participant

Thanks for that^

To my eyes, the pec fin on mine is longer than yours(don’t know if this could be age/sex/or just the position), but in both fish the pec fins overlap the pelvic fin origin. Agree? If so, going by the discription, neither are tweedei. ??????

The.Dark.One

QUOTE (plaamoo @ May 27 2011, 06:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Thanks for that^

To my eyes, the pec fin on mine is longer than yours(don’t know if this could be age/sex/or just the position), but in both fish the pec fins overlap the pelvic fin origin. Agree? If so, going by the discription, neither are tweedei. ??????

Mine has 7 branched pec rays so is tweediei, yours falls within the range for both and the pec rays look the same proportionate length to me. I think the safest way is to look at lateral line scale counts which is difficult on these pics and fish but I’ve had a go at mine and it matches tweediei, so I’m confident mine is tweediei. Do you have a good quality pic of the whole side of the fish?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 90 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.