LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Homaloptera spp.

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Homaloptera spp.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 90 total)
  • Author

Plaamoo
    Participant

This is the best I have for now. I’ll get a good one but I’m away tomorrow for 10 days.

So the bit about the pec/pelvic fins is ambiguous??

The.Dark.One

QUOTE (plaamoo @ May 28 2011, 04:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    This is the best I have for now. I’ll get a good one but I’m away tomorrow for 10 days.

So the bit about the pec/pelvic fins is ambiguous??

Difficult to count but I get 36 + 2 so probably tweediei too. The problem is that even if I’m 1 scale out it could be smithi! I think it is tweediei though. The pec/pelvic fin is ambiguous really because it says reaches versus reaches beyond but if you look at the images in Kottelat you could argue that both reach ‘beyond’ the origin, but that in smithi it goes further.

Plaamoo
    Participant

Thanks much TDO!

mikev
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Jun 3 2010, 04:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi Thomas do you have any idea where this fish was imported from, or what it came in with?

I’m pretty sure this is the fish I got today… I was promised seven, but three turned out to be h.smithi contaminants

The.Dark.One

I think they are tweediei

mikev
    Participant

FWIW, here are the vendor’s photos the fish I got.

Mine is definitely not Tweediei… the latter is a hunter which will take only life food and reluctantly frozen, but these new arrivals eat wafers.

In fact, their behavior and dietary habits are very similar to what I see from Chinese Lizard loaches… I have right now tanks of Disparis(Vanmanenia?), Crossostoma, and these chaps, to compare and all three are very close…difference is only markings and intensity …makes me wonder if perhaps H01’s are more related to Chinese Lizards than to other Homaloptera’s….

Plaamoo
    Participant

I think this discussion has gotten confusing. TDO is referring to the latest part(I think) where we were trying to distinguish between smithi & tweedei. Mike is referring( I think) to the earlier discussion about the fish we’ve labeled HO1. Correct me if I’m wrong.

mikev
    Participant

Sorry if I’m responsible for messing this up; I was referring to Matt’s post from Jun 3 2010 showing what I think is an H01 (and also what I have now).

Plaamoo
    Participant

Ever notice how these never stop flapping their pec fins? Are they moving water throught their gills?

http://youtu.be/UpJFzpiVmmc

mikev
    Participant

Yep…but many suckers (hillies with fin overlap) do this. Possibly connected to sticking to a surface, I don’t see them “flapping” when they are on the gravel.

Thomas
    Participant

Maybe it has to do something with the level/rate of their excitement? The more they are upset, the more they are flapping. I have noticed an increase of flapping when they watch food e.g.

Cheers,
    Thomas

Matt
    Keymaster

Mine did this a lot more when first introduced to the tank and now after water changes and as Thomas says, when food is added. Maybe the behaviour is used to increase water across the gills when oxygen is lower and/or metabolic rate higher plus through the mouth when food is available?

Plaamoo
    Participant

I have definitely noticed an increase in speed when they are excited. My h. tweedei/smithi & HO1 sp. never stop whether on substrate or rock. H. orthogoniata do it but not constantly like the others.

mikev
    Participant

How do they sense food? I’m certain it is not only visual…perhaps by running water through gills they can smell better?

wasserscheu
    Participant

finally got some pic’s of my 4 Homalopteras (1 orthog., 2 smith./tweedy [one from Malaysia and one from Borneo, if it’s true], 1 unknown):

http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o143/wo…mview=slideshow

These are all from one fish, the one like Thomas’ pic in post #29 from 3.June2010 and from Mike’s link above in post #66

http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o143/wo…mview=slideshow

The password: Homalops

hope that works

cheers

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 90 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.