LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

How To Cast An Atarraya

Home Forums The Lounge How To Cast An Atarraya

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

johnpeten
    Participant

This is not as easy as it looks. A few of the indigenous still have the skill. The cost of the nets by local standards are very expensive equal to a labourers two weeks pay,
    I have acquired one of these nets and my team are learning to use it. When they are proficient we will be able to make collections in the shallow habitats without damaging the fish.
    The photos were taken in the shallow extreme western end of the Lake using a 12x optical zoom.

Attached files

Plaamoo
    Participant

Not easy at all IME John. Similar nets are used in Thailand. I’ve tried to cast a smaller version for bait, with the instruction of an old timer, but couldn’t get the hang of it. Good luck!

johnpeten
    Participant

QUOTE (plaamoo @ Apr 30 2010, 11:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Not easy at all IME John. Similar nets are used in Thailand. I’ve tried to cast a smaller version for bait, with the instruction of an old timer, but couldn’t get the hang of it. Good luck!

This video might help. I use it to teach my boys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOUkj2h2LjI

Matt
    Keymaster

Video doesn’t play here.

johnpeten
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Apr 30 2010, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Video doesn’t play here. http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=2229

Matt there are several videos on the web showing how to use a CAST NET. This is a one man operation and the nets come in various sizes. I bought one about half the size of the one in my photos. This cost me US$ 38.00 in the local market, the vender also makes hammocks. The one in my photos costs double that. Like a good hammock it is tedious to try and make one and needs great experience, like tatting Lace. Although the netting is probably machine made nowadays. They are easily damaged by sharp rocks etc and one must have heavy thread and needles available for repair. Being an ex sailor I happen to have sailmakers needles and thread.
    When I first came here we had an ancient hammock maker who made me some custom ones much larger than normal. I still have them. He probably also made Cast Nets but unfortunately his skills died with him.

The purse Seine is a different animal. they have floats on top and weights below. They are dragged through the water by men on shore or by fishing vessels. When I was on the Island of Nevis in the Caribbean my boat would have been part of the catch if I had not up anchored and moved. I was amused by the fact that the local Pelicans ate the best of the catch.

Cast Nets are used by indigenous peoples worldwide. I am sure that in Spain it is possible to buy a cast net at a price. One just needs to know where.

I hope this helps.

Plaamoo
    Participant

Thanks for the vid John, I’ll have to get a net and give it a try. Quite different than the way the guy showed me in Thailand. This guy appears to use another method also?

Matt, you should be able to find a seine. Have you looked for a fishing supply shop in your area? On the net? Also, have a look at fyke nets. I’ve used them for catching snapping turtles & eels.

Matt
    Keymaster

You see, I don’t even know the difference!

johnpeten
    Participant

We have now captured a new species in the Lake. It was later identified as in the family Hominidae and is probably Homo sapiens sub species maya.

Attached files

Matt
    Keymaster

What mesh size are you using John?

Plaamoo
    Participant

Good luck John, look forward to the pics!

Bluedave
    Participant

Yep, can’t wait for the pics.

johnpeten
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ May 5 2010, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    What mesh size are you using John?

The mesh size is 3/8″. We have stolen an idea from your expeditions. We have constructed a small “photo tank” for use on the launch. We will be able to take natural pictures of the fish immediately after capture. We could not find any plastic material so we had to use glass. It is 4″ x 4″ x 10″ and mounted on a sturdy wooden base for security and ease of carrying.

Matt
    Keymaster

Sounds great.

johnpeten
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ May 6 2010, 04:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    If anyone knows somewhere I could buy the mesh or other suitable material (preferably a wee bit smaller than 3/8″) it’d be much appreciated.

Matt this is a bit of a problem as fine mesh netting in lengths have no use by themselves. Gill nets or pond cover nets etc are of a larger mesh. Fine mesh netting is usually made into an item. Cast nets are available in the UK and the USA. UK shops are the good bet. Perhaps one of our members could have a look aound. It is important that the netting is of a soft material.

http://www.castnets.com/products.php

You might like to browse this supplier, they have a great selection and they ship to Spain. The information on their site about cast nets is very comprehensive.

Plaamoo
    Participant

You’re probablyt going to want 1/8″ mesh if you can find it Matt. Here’s a few U.K. links I found on Google. Is their a seaport near you?
    http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/show…ad.php?t=168649
    http://www.cfb.ie/fisheries_research/estua…vecolclough.htm

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.