LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

How To Look After Crayfish

Home Forums Invertebrates & Other Critters How To Look After Crayfish

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Malti 9 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Kit117033
    Participant

Is there anyone who knows about crayfish?

My son would like to own one of these adorable critters after seeing them in our LFS. But first I would like to know about them and their care requirements before I buy one.

He has a 60ltr tank that currently houses 8 male guppies (these are being re-homed soon and are just lodging!) he also has a Chinese Algae Eater (approx 6″ long).

Is this tank large enough for one crayfish?
    Will the C.A.E. be ok with the crayfish or will it get eaten?
    What food does a crayfish require?
    How often do you need to feed them?
    Are they an easy species to look after?

I will be most grateful for any advice given.

Kit x

Mark Duffill
    Participant

You will probably be ok with that tank, males grow bigger than females so may need something slightly bigger eventually.

Any fish will be seen as food, if it doesn’t eat it straight away it will get it at some point /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” />

Bluedave
    Participant

As Mad Duff said – dead easy to look after and they look cool! That tank should be ok for a long while, I kept mine in a similar sized tank. They are great escape artisits though – so make sure any holes are covered up! They prefer harder water and the occasional dose of calcium for there shells. Ours used to eat it’s shell after moulting.

My kids loved our last one. We fed mussels, prawns, bloodworm and tetra wafers. They will eat anything – even plants!

Munching Bloodworm:

Feeding Mussels

Eating some moss!

Escaping!

Kit117033
    Participant

Thank you for your replies

Mad Duff – lots of brilliant information, thanks.

Bluedave – fantastic pics!

It would seem that my sons choice of a pet is a good one.

I am quite lucky that the water where I live is quite hard so that should be ok

Once again thank you for your input x

Kit x

P.S. once we get it all set up I will try to post some pics!

Bluedave
    Participant

Good luck, can’t wait for the pics.

Malti
    Participant

as stated by the others they’re very easy to keep, might bother snails but rarely eat any. I keep mine with endlers, mollies, pleco, barbs, corys – rarely had any incidents although I once found one of them munching a cory, not sure if it died before – never saw it eat an other fish. give it a place to hide for when it sheds its exoskeleton, mine almost all eat it up.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.